Frankenstein KX250 Project... mix in some SR

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Frankenstein KX250 Project... mix in some SR

Post by morganid »

Anyone know of the KDX250 flywheel is the same size as the KDX200 SR flywheel?

I've recently acquired a 2003 KX250. After spending way too much time on The Google, I bought a 89-94 KDX200 SR stator (because it has the dual lighting coils). I've found forums/write ups of guys putting a SR stator plate on a KDX200, and another one of a guy putting the single coil KDX200 stator plate on his 03 KX250. So if A=B, and B=C, then C must equal A right???

The guy who put the SR stator plate on his non SR bike said he needed to use the SR flywheel. I haven't been able to come up with one yet. But there are KDX250 flywheels available on Ebay. If they are the same size, I'm golden.

Thanks in advance.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Frankenstein KX250 Project... mix in some SR

Post by bufftester »

Lots of variables at play here. Is the KX crank diameter the same as an SR or KDX? You normally use the stator plate and flywheel together because the plate locates the coil in the correct location, but you will also need the ignition pickup, and as I recall the KX flywheel/generator is significantly different than a KDX set. You may be able to make a KDX stator/flywheel setup work, but likely would also need the CDI for a KDX which would be a detriment to the KX motor. Some guys have had luck with running off the regulator for the powerjet, but I think it only outputs like 25W stock, which will give you a dim headlight. You could run a battery powered headlight with the powerjet output trickle charging the battery, boils down to how much and how long you need lighting for.
morganid
Supporting Member

Re: Frankenstein KX250 Project... mix in some SR

Post by morganid »

Here is my train of thought...

1) This guy used a KDX200 stator, flywheel, and ignition/coil/CDI on his homemade CNC stator plate:
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/10 ... n-a-kx250/
On that post, HolyKaw810 says he bolted a KDX250 stator plate and flywheel right onto his 250.

2)HolyKaw810 has a post about his 96 KX/KDX hybrid:
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/10 ... /#comments
As far as I can tell, he used the KDX250 cdi/ignition also.

3) Here are 2 write-ups from kdxrider.net members about converting their KDX200 and KDX220 to a dual lighting coil set up.
viewtopic.php?t=17541
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14204&p=156870&hil ... el#p156870
I believe in these write-ups, they use the SR flywheel and stator plate.

SO...
Putting a KDX200 stator setup on a KX250 is possible.
Putting a KDX250 stator setup on a KX250 is possible.
Putting a KDX SR stator setup on a KDX is possible.
So I want to try to put a KDX SR setup on a KX250.

If the KDX250 flywheel and KDX SR flywheel are the same size, I **SHOULD** be able to use the KDX250 flywheel, KDX SR stator plate.

No matter what, it seems the ignition coil on the stator plate will be 180 degrees off from the KX position. I'll most likely need a KDX cdi and coil. I'm thinking about reaching out to this guy to see if his "performance KDX CDI" will work. I don't konw if the CDI will need to be SR specific or if any KDX CDI will work. http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html

The lighting coils are shot on the SR stator plate I have coming (from ebay). I'm crossing my fingers the ignition coil is good. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I rewound my stator on my current KDX220 using the very popular guide from Slick_Nick. I'll be rewinding these coils with the same wire. I'm planning on running a Trail Tech voltage regulator/rectifier and a small lead-acid battery.

I'm also not sure about the power-jet on the carb. I've only recently come across that term. I'm not sure if my carb has it. I'm planning on eventually getting a Lectron Carb for the bike. But that's a big-ticket item down the road.

I'm currently working on a wiring diagram based on the street legal kit I put on my KDX220. I want to make a few revisions on that kit. Based on those results, (and feasibility of this SR coil project), I'll wire up my KX250 the same way. I'll post the schematic when I have it finished.