Tail Rack for a 2004 220

Got questions? We got answers....
BlkDakDave

Tail Rack for a 2004 220

Post by BlkDakDave »

Since the stock tool bag isn't there, I was thinking about getting a tail rack to fill the void. Doing a search for tail racks, a thread from 2013 stated the KDX 200 & 220, KLX 300 and the KLX 650 all share the same rear sub frame dimensions. There was a link in one of the posts, but it was no longer valid.

Just wondering if since then (2013) anyone has narrowed down a rack that is a direct bolt on, or close to it.
NEVER FORGET!
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Tail Rack for a 2004 220

Post by kdxsully »

They do have reproductions on eBay I think. As far as anything else, that’ll bolt straight on, none that I’ve seen besides the reproductions. I’ve had some ideas in my head, but haven’t executed anything yet.
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Supposedly, one for a KLR650, or KLX250 will work with some modifications. You have the other two bikes, take some quick measurements to verify. I have also heard rumor of a KTM rack being fitted up, but required a bit of fabrication. I haven't seen it myself so its kind of like a unicorn...
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

kdxsully wrote: 06:39 pm Oct 18 2019 They do have reproductions on eBay I think. As far as anything else, that’ll bolt straight on, none that I’ve seen besides the reproductions. I’ve had some ideas in my head, but haven’t executed anything yet.
Oh yeah, Ebay is where I got a tail rack for my KLX and the rear side panel guards for my KLR. Thanks for jogging the memory.
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

bufftester wrote: 10:30 pm Oct 18 2019 Supposedly, one for a KLR650, or KLX250 will work with some modifications. You have the other two bikes, take some quick measurements to verify. I have also heard rumor of a KTM rack being fitted up, but required a bit of fabrication. I haven't seen it myself so its kind of like a unicorn...
I have a tail rack on the KLX that I could take off to see. Just kinda a pain to do so and that mod is low on the list right now. Was hoping someone had found that unicorn. Thanks for the input!
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Had some time to see if the Nomadic Rack I have on my 2010 KLX 250 would fit on my 2004 KDX. To my suprise, it wasn't off that bad. The only mod I had to do was drill a couple of holes in the fender just behind the holes for the tool bag. With a couple of long bolts, a couple of fender washers and nylon lock nuts, the rack is now a fixture on the KDX. I've attached some pictures first showing the rack on the KLX (no load and loaded)and then on the KDX after the install.

KLX
KLX Normadic 1.jpg
KLX Normadic 1.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 3476 times
KLX Normadic 2.jpg
KLX Normadic 2.jpg (914.76 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
KDX
KDX Normadic Rack 1.jpg
KDX Normadic Rack 1.jpg (414.08 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
KDX Normadic Rack 2.jpg
KDX Normadic Rack 2.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3476 times

Now to order a replacement tail rack for the KLX.
Last edited by BlkDakDave on 08:31 am Nov 14 2019, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER FORGET!
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Man, that looks great!
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Thanks, and the seat bolts were easy to stab and get started!

Your signature is very true. I had an acquanintance that would come by my house every so often to borrow $20. Having empathy for the guy, I'd loan him the money. After a few weeks he'd come by and pay it back. Each visit would take place on my front porch with him talking about all his problems and troubles. This went on for a couple of years. Well day about nine months ago he came back and borrowed another $20. Haven't seen him since. So yes, it was worth it
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

looks nice!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Now that’s a trail bike
I like turtles
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:10 pm Nov 09 2019looks nice!
Thanks!
Gonna put the tool pouch from the KLX on the KDX today to test filling that void between the seat and the tail rack. If it works out, I'll get an aftermarket pouch for the KDX and return the OEM pouch to it's rightful owner. I've already ordered another rack to replace the one off the KLX. She's looking a little bare without it.
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

kdxsully wrote: 06:06 am Nov 10 2019 Now that’s a trail bike
Yes sir, gotta have something to strap that backpack down on. Especially when you're already toting around a camelbak on your shoulders.
And that rack is on solid. It's alread helped out when dragging the rear end around.
NEVER FORGET!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Nice to see you got it worked out, I knew it had been done but couldn't recall where I saw it...now we have this thread for reference!
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I like the rack, but I like my fender tool bag also.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Molly's 70 wrote: 06:05 pm Nov 11 2019 I like the rack, but I like my fender tool bag also.
I agree, as you can see a tool bag in picture of the KLX with the rack unloaded. It's still there in the loaded picture, just can't see because it's under that tail bag.

I did use the tool bag from my KLX to get an idea how well it would mount on the KDX between the rear of the seat and the newly installed rack. It fits, but won't line up with the existing holes. Not a big dea, just drill some new holes in the fender. I didn't want to use the OEM bag from my KLX (because it's going back on the KLX) so I ordered an aftermarket one that is the same size as the OEM. I'll post a picture or two when it's on the KDX. Hoping it gets here soon. The wife and I are going to some relatives for Thanksgiving and there's a huge OHV park about 40 minutes away. Play time for Dave!
NEVER FORGET!
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

This is sweet! Nice job.
This place seems like the Costco of motorbike tips, great for finding cool stuff you didn't know you needed.
"all i thought i needed was a loaf of bread and some carb tuning tips"
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Goat wrote: 04:32 pm Nov 18 2019 This is sweet! Nice job.
This place seems like the Costco of motorbike tips, great for finding cool stuff you didn't know you needed.
"all i thought i needed was a loaf of bread and some carb tuning tips"
Thanks for the complement.

"Costco of motorbike tips" ---Truer words were never spoken

"great for finding cool stuff you didn't know you needed. "all i thought i needed was a loaf of bread and some carb tuning tips."

:lol: Now that cracked me up!
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

The tool bag that I ordered showed today, which was an unexpected, but pleasant suprise. The company I ordered it from (Bolivaxport) was supposed to notify me when it shipped along with a tracking number. All told it took 10 working days from the time ordered to delivery. I'm just glad it's here and it came as I'm preparing to visit relatives for Thanksgiving. Which, once the wife heads back home, I'm off to the nearby OHV park for a couple of days of camping and riding. So of course I went right to work getting it mounted. If I say so myself, it filled that space between the rack and the seat pretty well.

KDX Bag - Copy.jpg
KDX Bag - Copy.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 3332 times
KDX bag rear.jpg
KDX bag rear.jpg (962.05 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
KDX bag R.jpg
KDX bag R.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 3332 times

The total pacakge
KDX wbag.jpg
KDX wbag.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 3332 times
NEVER FORGET!