FMF O-rings -vs- OEM O-rings

Got questions? We got answers....
BlkDakDave

FMF O-rings -vs- OEM O-rings

Post by BlkDakDave »

Well after 2 months and a 16 day trip to Iowa with my brother to visit relatives, I was finally able to bring the KDX home to join the rest of my stable.
KDX220.jpg
KDX220.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 2027 times

After spending time with the wifey and taking care of neglected yard work, I was able to start checking out the bike.
KDX220 -1.jpg
KDX220 -1.jpg (594.21 KiB) Viewed 2027 times

Doing so I've found a few things that I'm either going to accept, fix or replace. While removing the FMF header, I noticed one of the O-rings was shot. So my plan is to replace both O-rings along with the gasket. Springs seem good, but will replace them too.

This leads to my question; will OEM work, or do I need the specific FMF O-rings?
Aslo, has anyone delt with 2wheel pros for OEM parts. Prices are better that what I've found on other sites.

Thanks in advance. I know as this project proceeds, I'll be returning with questions and looking for advice.
NEVER FORGET!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FMF O-rings -vs- OEM O-rings

Post by bufftester »

Never used 2wheel Pros for parts so can't comment on that. As for the O-rings, OEM or FMF, either is fine, get the cheaper ones. Same for the springs and gaskets.

Also, let me be the first to give the obligatory warning about the OEM pistons in the 220s.

Nice KLRs in there as well, super clean looking.
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

I found 2wheel pros while looking for dampners for the risers. I bought some for my 2006 KDX 200 back in 2014 from MotoSport for 2.75 each. Fast forward to 2019 and now they want 3.52 each. 2wheel pro wants 2.51 each. With that I'm buiding up a list of OEM items with them, so now I can add the O-rings, gasket and springs. Appreciate the information about the O-rings, gasket and springs.

Thanks for the warning about the OEM piston. I was told by the previous owner that he had put in a Wiseco piston that has only 10 hrs on it. So hopefully that's one less challenge I'll be facing on this project.

Thanks for compliment on the bikes. The KLR is my daily ride, while the KLX 250 (351 big bore kit) is used several times a year at Big Bend or AZ when I go there to visit my youngest son. Or on those early Sunday mornings on some dirt farm roads just outside of town.

This 220 is my third and last KDX. I regretted selling the other two, which were 200's, so I'll be holding on to this one for sure.
NEVER FORGET!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Check Rocky Mountain ATV MC for OEM prices. My last OEM order was for Honda (YIKES!), but they were cheaper than Partzilla, my normal OEM parts place.

https://www.fmfracing.com/Product/Produ ... Priority=2

OEM pipe o-rings have become SUPER expensive. The o-rings are the same as some years of KX125, so try the FMF kit.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawas ... dc45b5249e

The springs won't be the same however.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I've personally never had good luck with the FMF o-rings. They always seem to leak or tear on me. I like OEM or I'll use the FMF ones along with high temp silicone.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDXGarage wrote: 08:40 pm Oct 17 2019 Check Rocky Mountain ATV MC for OEM prices. My last OEM order was for Honda (YIKES!), but they were cheaper than Partzilla, my normal OEM parts place.
I use RM ATV MC quite often. In fact, I just received the tires, tubes, CS, rear sprocket, chain and new grips for this project from them just the other day.
KDXGarage wrote: 08:40 pm Oct 17 2019 OEM pipe o-rings have become SUPER expensive. The o-rings are the same as some years of KX125, so try the FMF kit.
Yep, it's unreal how the prices have increased, especially for OEM. Since I'm making a pretty good list of OEM items for 2wheel pros, I'll most likely get the O-rings, springs and gasket from them. I really don't like paying shipping charges-must less twice from two seperate suppliers. But, I'm still price shopping for the best prices. Thanks for reminding me about partzilla.

On a side note, I just came in from draining the fork oil. Reminded me when I was on one of my surf trips to Mexico in the 70's and had a bad case of Montezuma's revenge. NASTY
NEVER FORGET!
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

SS109 wrote: 01:17 pm Oct 18 2019 I've personally never had good luck with the FMF o-rings. They always seem to leak or tear on me. I like OEM or I'll use the FMF ones along with high temp silicone.
Since the header was FMF, I'm assuming the o-rings were too. That and the amount of high temp silicone used.
I see you're in AZ. I go out there at least once a year, either Oct or Feb and usually stay for 6-8 weeks. That state is awesome for riding.
NEVER FORGET!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

BlkDakDave wrote: 03:04 pm Oct 18 2019
SS109 wrote: 01:17 pm Oct 18 2019 I've personally never had good luck with the FMF o-rings. They always seem to leak or tear on me. I like OEM or I'll use the FMF ones along with high temp silicone.
Since the header was FMF, I'm assuming the o-rings were too. That and the amount of high temp silicone used.
I see you're in AZ. I go out there at least once a year, either Oct or Feb and usually stay for 6-8 weeks. That state is awesome for riding.
If you get down to Southern AZ (Tucson area) hit me up and we'll ride!
'11 GasGas EC250R
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

SS109-
Thanks for the invite. I base out San Tan Valley where my son lives or in Ahwatukee where my brother lives. I've done a little riding around Florence, not to but near the Coke Ovens and around Oracle, on the backside of Mt Lemmon and some FS roads in that same general area. These rides were on my KLX250. So yes, I'm always up to explore new area.

I'm assuming as long as the KDX (not street legal) is sporting an OHV sticker from TX most areas should be OK to ride (?).
NEVER FORGET!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

AZ recently changed the law on OHV decals. AZ doesn't honor OHV decals from other states any longer. Now you have to purchase an AZ decal.
'11 GasGas EC250R
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Well that certainly bites for me. However, if it eliminates riders, be it bikes, side by sides or ATV's that are irresponsible, then I'm all for the change. On a few of my treks, especially around Four Peaks and a little around Florence, it was pretty crazy dodging some of those side x sides. Those knuckle heads need to have their wings clipped. At my age, it's not how fast I got there, but how much I enjoyed the ride.

Before the change you could use your out of state OHV as long as the bike was not in the state for more that 1 month. I was in AZ a year ago this month, so I'll have to read up on the change. The OHV regulations in AZ were a little confusing to me. Type of bike, amount of time spent riding off road -vs- street riding. Also seemed like you had to go to the DPS or a licensing location to get one. Here we can get it either at some MC/ATV shops or on-line through the state. The state will then send the sticker(s) via certified letter with signature required. I get mine on-line, because the closest shop is a two hour drive - one way.

I see in your signature your the OHV Ambassador for AZ State Parks. Could you break the procedure down in layman terms and If you have a link to that change, could you post it? I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for the heads up!

Just checked the new regulation. Pretty cut and dry to get one. Glad you brought this to my attention.

Thanks again!
NEVER FORGET!