KDX 200 Kickstarter broke cover

Got questions? We got answers....
Friend_of_a_friend

KDX 200 Kickstarter broke cover

Post by Friend_of_a_friend »

I just bought a KDX 200 ('03)and have an issue. The outer clutch cover has a crack in it, from what looks like the kickstarter going through it. I drained the oil and it didnt see any metal. The bike starts and the kick lever returns like normal. It seems that if it goes all the way down and turns inward (like when it's up top, tucked away) it makes contact with the case. I dont know how this happened, but it seems like physically it should not be able to. I will order a clutch cover and a gasket kit, but my question is what else do I need to order so it doesnt happen again? Is there a stop somewhere? If the kick lever is returning then it seems like the spring is ok. I took the lever off and rotated it a spline forward and it contacts the exhaust pipe, so I dont think that the lever alignment is the issue. I will tear into it tonight, but not entirely sure what I should look for. Any help is much appreciated. On a side note, I did manage 20 minutes of ride time and the bike runs great! I had a KDX 220 when I was a teenager and I'm glad to get back on one.
Attachments
20190929_181211.jpg
20190929_181211.jpg (933.85 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
20190929_181225.jpg
20190929_181225.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 3356 times
20190929_183551.jpg
20190929_183551.jpg (974.73 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Friend_of_a_friend

Re: KDX 200 Kickstarter broke cover

Also, should the kick lever assembly look like that or did the previous owner do some "fabricating"?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think it wore out over time and someone homemade rigged it. It should not be doing all that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Friend_of_a_friend

Which part are you thinking wore out? I need a new kick lever and knuckle or something internal?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How much slop is there?
Friend_of_a_friend

Felt normal as far as using it. I'll tear the cover off tonight, although I'm not sure how much is acceptable...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That doesn't look like the correct washer on the lever stack up. On my bike the kickstart lever hits the footpeg before the knuckle can rotate enough to contact the case. It also looks like you may be missing the set screw in the lever that holds the ball and spring in. Does the lever feel like it goes into detent when you rotate it out, or does it just move around freely? It should rotate 90 Degrees and 'lock' into place when the ball reaches the detent position on the boss.
Friend_of_a_friend

The kick does hit the peg when its straight out, but if somehow it rotates inward, while it's down, and keeps rotating down, it can keep rotating into the case. I dont know how this would actually happen when kicking it over, but Looking at the mark and then turning it by hand down and in, it lines up exactly where the crack is (see pic 2 in OP). It seems to lock into place when it return up and in, and trying it by hand feels like a detent is in there. But with that said, I searched and never saw this happen, so I'm assuming it's not a common problem and something is out of sorts. I'm about to open it up low amd I'll report back. Thanks for the help thus far, much appreciated.
Friend_of_a_friend

It doesnt seem to "lock" when its turned out, ready to kick. Only when its turned in to stay tucked in the frame. I'm assuming this is normal...?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think you have a kickstarter knuckle or lever problem, not a case issue.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Is that last picture on full return? Shouldn’t it be sitting more vertical? Maybe he just needs to turn it on the splines a bit?? I have an older bike so I don’t know what it should look like, just speculating
I like turtles
Friend_of_a_friend

Last picture is on full return, but turning it forward it hits the pipe. I took the outer cover off last night, all looked good, although cant see much. Ordered a cover and kickstarter. I'll put it back together with the new parts and by hand, see if it hits. Is there an internal stop to stop over travel?
Friend_of_a_friend

*lever and knuckle ordered
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Friend_of_a_friend wrote: 07:36 pm Oct 01 2019 Last picture is on full return, but turning it forward it hits the pipe. I took the outer cover off last night, all looked good, although cant see much. Ordered a cover and kickstarter. I'll put it back together with the new parts and by hand, see if it hits. Is there an internal stop to stop over travel?
On return? Yes, there should be a comfy slot where the ratchet’s arm would sit in.
I like turtles
Friend_of_a_friend

Sorry, I mean if I move it a spline forward, it hits the pipe. As is, it sits good when returned.
Friend_of_a_friend

Also, I meant is there a over travel stop when kicking, to prevent it from hitting the case (ie. If the peg wasnt there to stop it).
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If the peg was not there, it would keep on going.

If the bike is crisply tuned, one does not have to smash the lickstart lever down into the footpeg.

On old bikes, some jackass lets it set up for way too long and then kicks and kicks and kicks, etc. That is not too great for a kickstarter over time.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

That kicker looks awfully worn. Is it possible the lever is simply rotating too far because of wear?
Friend_of_a_friend

Update: kick lever looked like it had some grinding or something done to it. So...

I replaced kick lever assembly, outer cover and gasket. While I was at it, clutch cable and grips too. Put 60 miles on it at Hatfield trails on Saturday. Bike ran great!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool. I am glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy that KDX.