Hydraulic question

Got questions? We got answers....
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hydraulic question

Post by doakley »

Does anyone know if any reason a Magura hydraulic clutch master cylinder could not be equipped with a new line and converted to use as a Left hand rear brake system?

I did this and am having a problem getting the system to bleed and pressurize.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Hydraulic question

Post by kdxsully »

Like it won’t bleed at all??
I like turtles
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

Back bleed it from the lowest fitting using a syringe type injector with the upper master cap off or use a hand vacuum pump like a mighty vac and draw using suction down from the master to the slave. Good luck those can be a pita!
Restore rather than replace
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I'm going to try my wife's turkey injector syringe and back fill from the bottom.
Let you guys know.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I went to the TSC (Tractor Supply Company) & found what I needed. Worked pretty darn well.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

CFA7C5A5-46B9-4A72-ACDA-57DEB5EC1739.jpeg
CFA7C5A5-46B9-4A72-ACDA-57DEB5EC1739.jpeg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Perfect tool for the job!
I haven’t ridden with the Magura clutch master as a LHRB yet. It feels great but is a very small cylinder. Ride report later.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Just FYI, there is another way to do a LHRB, and that is with a separate hand lever that pulls a cable that is attached to the RFB pedal.

The cable pulls up on the back side of the pedal, compressing the RBMC.

Doing it this way eliminates the LHRB hydraulic cylinder and line.

Maybe something to think about?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Hmmm. Interesting approach. I wonder how much force you can apply to the brake that way? Hadn’t even considered it.
In my case I bought the used autoclutch with the LHRB included. I never liked the total lack of “feel” in the Nissin hydraulic master. I already had the Magura clutch from before I bought the autoclutch so just scavenged the master cyl assembly to use for the brake.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

If you look on Craigslist right now for the metropolitan Chicago area, Pat Reilly in Rockford, IL has his 220 up for sale. It has this exact cable operated LHRB,

Actually, Pat's setup is what prompted my post. His idea, not mine.

You might do some searching on this site. I believe Pat posted information on his set up a year or 2 ago.

Good luck.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I seriously have been wanting a LHRB for some time. I tried the cable setup on my '98. It was worthless IMO. Still have some of the mods for it on my bike. Anyway, I've also heard similar reports of the commercially available Ox Brake cable operated LHRB. Personally, I will be looking at hydraulic solutions from now on.

Doakly, please keep us posted on how it works out as I'm very interested in building a setup myself.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I'll let you guys know after this weekend's enduro. It is pretty simple. Just get a hydraulic clutch master cylinder assembly and have a custom brake line built to go straight to the rear brake caliper. You can order the brake line online from several sources. I chose to use a local diesel parts shop make it up instead since I didn't have time to wait for shipment. Plus, I have some fitment issues due to the FastFlex bars and bark busters so we were able to choose the fittings that worked best for my situation. The steel braided line with black plastic outer sheath and all fittings was $80. I'll probably get a quick ride down a gravel road tomorrow but won't really know until race day.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Doakley, Does your set up also allow use of the RB pedal in addition to the LHRB hand lever?
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

No, I took the foot pedal off. To do that you need to have a plug made at a machine shop and connect the LHRB line to the foot pedal's master cyl. There is a good write up on these forums incl pics if you search it.