o ring chains

Got questions? We got answers....
2stroke1971

o ring chains

Post by 2stroke1971 »

I will admit, Ive never had an Oring chain despite riding all my life. Its all been vintage stuff and to be honest, never wanted to spend the extra $$$

As a preface, of course the answer is to buy a new chain, this is mostly just venting.

Ive never had a standard chain that I could not bring back to life for short term use, despite dirt, frozen links, rust etc.

So in this case, as my KDX came with an Oring chain on it, and it looks fairly nice, but it has some stuck links....I can get them to move a little, have been able to get some to feel better...I soaked the chain in marvel mystery oil for days... no effect. Working it back ad forth etc...
Even the majority of the chain is not feeling like a nicely lubed chain should, and not improving that much.

So I take it while the Orings are supposed to keep dirt out...they also tend to not let lube in? I think I will replace it with a standard.

EDIT: I read a blurb about Oring chains, keeps dirt out and seals in lubricant for the life of the chain.
Welllll this chain has plenty of "life" left in all regards except the frozen links... no play lengthwise, even in the loose sections, no excessive lateral movement. Just sayin.

Pffffft :rolleyes:
1994 kdx200, 1981 yz465, 1981 xt500, 1975 kx400, 1972 F9 350, 1972 S2 350, 1995 MZ skorpion, 1987 kd80, Baja mini
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: o ring chains

Post by SS109 »

Just because a chain doesn't look worn doesn't mean it isn't. Measure the distance between the pins and compare to spec for a 520 chain to know for sure. Personally, you couldn't give me a non-o-ring chain. Just way too much maintenance. My current x-ring is almost 8 years old and just becoming due for replacement. I literally have never oiled it in all those years and over a thousand hours riding/racing. No standard chain can do that.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Same here. I run O-ring chains and I don't oil them. I wouldn't take a standard chain if it was given to me... if I wanted that much maintenance I would get a 4 stroke.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
2stroke1971

Post by 2stroke1971 »

I measured it, its where it should be as far as pitch and roller diameter. Didnt mean to open some debate. Not my purpose. Im sure Oring chains work well. This is my first experience with one. Im just the rider that time forgot. Cant afford one this week. Want to ride Wednesday. Picked out all the orings on one side. lubed it, feels great. Yes Im THAT guy. If money was no object, Id do it "right", but to be honest, spending 80 bucks on a chain for me takes some planning. Seriously. I do the best I can to enjoy the sport I love. I am aware of the dangers of a breaking chain, although Ive never had one let go on me. In that regard I made some custom stainless chain catcher/guards for my other rides, will do the same for the KDX as well as put on a new chain soon.
1994 kdx200, 1981 yz465, 1981 xt500, 1975 kx400, 1972 F9 350, 1972 S2 350, 1995 MZ skorpion, 1987 kd80, Baja mini
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I understand not having money to just throw at a bike. I'm in the same boat hence why my GasGas has been down for over three months now. I am known as the king of making things work among my family and friends.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

2Stroke, send me a PM. I think I have an option for you.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have run both O-rings and regular chains, and have run chains way past their recommended replacement point when money was tight, but the price difference between and O-ring and a regular is only about $20, the O-ring chain will last 3-5 times longer. Run what you can, but IIWM I'd save my pennies for an O-ring when it comes time to replace it. On a more concerning note, to pull all the O-rings means you had to split every single link. This will make for a weaker chain as there is no way to really re-peen all those pins. I would keep a very close eye on it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you cut off the o-rings?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

We all cut corners. O ring chains last years, non o ring chains way less due to stretch. I’ve had to replace left side cases due to thrown chains. It’s an expensive lesson. We all pick our poison
Restore rather than replace
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Kdxfan4130 wrote: 01:40 pm Aug 19 2019 We all cut corners. O ring chains last years, non o ring chains way less due to stretch. I’ve had to replace left side cases due to thrown chains. It’s an expensive lesson. We all pick our poison
I reused a perfectly good set of fork seals recently. No leaks yet.

It’s true, we all cut corners one way or another
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

doakley is the only one I see around here racing at the national level.

I have an old o-ring chain somewhere. I imagine it is all gummed up, too.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128