Time to fix both my kickstart levers

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXMainer

Time to fix both my kickstart levers

Post by KDXMainer »

Ok. So both my kickstarters go back a little to far. I read that some people welded marterial to solve the problem. Welded friend said he could do it as long as it's not aluminum .... is it? One bike is a 98 the other a 2006 if I can't weld it what's the best solution to fix it. Order new knuckle stock or aftermarket? Thanks Mike
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Time to fix both my kickstart levers

Post by kdxsully »

KDXMainer wrote: 02:10 pm Aug 03 2019 Ok. So both my kickstarters go back a little to far. I read that some people welded marterial to solve the problem. Welded friend said he could do it as long as it's not aluminum .... is it? One bike is a 98 the other a 2006 if I can't weld it what's the best solution to fix it. Order new knuckle stock or aftermarket? Thanks Mike
I THINK they’re casted steel, but I don’t know for sure. If he can’t weld it, someone can. Some kx kickers can swap over too. Search the forum for the write up on that
I like turtles
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Both segments are weldable steel.

I added a little metal by welding...and I ain’t a welder. Did 2 of ‘em that way. Worked great. Just takes a little grinding/filing/fitting/shaping.

Go for it.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Another option is to go with the shorter kickstart and boss from a KX. This mod is on my "to do list", so hopefully in the near future I can get r done. Link to Slick Nick's Kickstart Mod
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

GATOROC wrote: 01:28 pm Aug 05 2019 Another option is to go with the shorter kickstart and boss from a KX. This mod is on my "to do list", so hopefully in the near future I can get r done. Link to Slick Nick's Kickstart Mod
I recently did this mod. Still getting used to it but I do like it. Also regarding fitment as others have stated, had to grind approx 1-2mm off the bottom of the kicker to fit the Kaw oem KX250 boss.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

I have done the kickstarter mod and have really liked it. The bike is so easy to start anyway and the new one really helps and looks good too. Shop around and it does'nt cost much more than a stock replacement one.