Tightening block

Got questions? We got answers....
Parney

Tightening block

Post by Parney »

My torque wrench is in Newton’s over here I make the head and block 24 Newton’s but is the only way to tighten them with a crows foot spanner on torque wrench. Do you people put any sealant on base gaskit as well cheers Gary
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Tightening block

Post by kdxsully »

Parney wrote: 03:55 am Jul 02 2019 My torque wrench is in Newton’s over here I make the head and block 24 Newton’s but is the only way to tighten them with a crows foot spanner on torque wrench. Do you people put any sealant on base gaskit as well cheers Gary
Pretty much. Or just guess with a regular wrench. You shouldn’t need sealant on the base gasket unless there’s a problem like warping or if you notice an air leak later on.
I like turtles
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

They make a special add-on adapter tool for these situations (here's one: Motion Pro Torque Wrench Adapter) and they normally come with instructions on how to use them to be accurate when torquing everything down. Of course, you can just tighten them down without a torque wrench, and I have done it before in a pinch, but it's impossible to be accurate doing so.

I normally don't use any sealant on a base gasket unless, like kdxsully said, there is an issue that would make you need it. If for some reason you do use a sealant make sure it can withstand gasoline exposure.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep, I am the same

Motion Pro or similar

no sealant, just dry gasket

plastic scraper upon disassembly
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

KDXGarage wrote: 08:27 am Jul 02 2019 Yep, I am the same

Motion Pro or similar

no sealant, just dry gasket

plastic scraper upon disassembly
This.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

SS109 wrote: 07:33 am Jul 02 2019 They make a special add-on adapter tool for these situations (here's one: Motion Pro Torque Wrench Adapter) and they normally come with instructions on how to use them to be accurate when torquing everything down. Of course, you can just tighten them down without a torque wrench, and I have done it before in a pinch, but it's impossible to be accurate doing so.

I normally don't use any sealant on a base gasket unless, like kdxsully said, there is an issue that would make you need it. If for some reason you do use a sealant make sure it can withstand gasoline exposure.
I forgot about that little wrench adapter.

One thing about the crow’s foot is that you still don’t have much space for a good turn when torquing (torqueing?), which can result in an inaccurate result. Always reach your spec at the end of your turn.
I like turtles