KDX200 hard to start/not running

Got questions? We got answers....
CarsonMcI

Re: KDX200 hard to start/not running

Post by CarsonMcI »

doakley wrote: 08:15 pm Jul 01 2019 Looks like some serious overheating and seizing. Cyl looks like it will be making a trip to Millenium for repair and recoating. I’d be concerned about pieces in the lower end also. Really sorry for you but in the end you’ll have a brand new engine!
You think I should still split the case? And I agree at least it'll be new.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

CarsonMcI wrote: 03:44 pm Jul 02 2019
doakley wrote: 08:15 pm Jul 01 2019 Looks like some serious overheating and seizing. Cyl looks like it will be making a trip to Millenium for repair and recoating. I’d be concerned about pieces in the lower end also. Really sorry for you but in the end you’ll have a brand new engine!
You think I should still split the case? And I agree at least it'll be new.
I guess it depends on the size of your cajones. Like whoever (sorry, forgot) said there could be junk down there.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look to see if you lost any chunks before splitting and removing chunks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Agree. It’s hard for us to judge just looking at photos, but, if you’re missing any metal, rings, cyl wall, piston it would be the safest approach. Of course if you split the cases, new bearings, seals, etc would be a given in my book. Good luck!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I'm wondering if the port edges weren't beveled when the last piston and cylinder work was done. Looks to me like a ring caught a port edge.

If engine ran for any length of time after this damage happened, most likely any tramp metal would have been washed out by now. But then, YMMV.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

I will second the “ouch”. You’ll get it fixed up though. Several of us have had a great experience with “Powerseal USA” redoing cylinders. 3 week turn time and great work. Just another option.
CarsonMcI

Post by CarsonMcI »

The cylinder is going out to Millenium for repair. But I've just realized that the guy had the piston installed backwards haha. If you go back and look at the video from the intake side you'll see there wasn't a hole in the piston skirt which if the piston was correctly oriented, there would be.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

CarsonMcI wrote: 04:51 am Jul 10 2019 The cylinder is going out to Millenium for repair. But I've just realized that the guy had the piston installed backwards haha. If you go back and look at the video from the intake side you'll see there wasn't a hole in the piston skirt which if the piston was correctly oriented, there would be.
Ouch. I’m surprised the rings are still on there. I didn’t know apes have begun working on motorcycles.
I like turtles
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Oh geez. No telling what else is goofy in there.
Mowerspower

Post by Mowerspower »

It could be as simple as a new plug being bad try a other plug that what I did today and it worked
Mowerspower

Post by Mowerspower »

That's what made my kdx not starting to day was a bad plug I bought got a other plug and started right up