Lights

Got questions? We got answers....
Parney

Lights

Post by Parney »

My kdx was street legal for day time use only but I want a bit of dusk riding . I pushed the centre out of standard rear light bulb figment single pole and slid a twin pole in one to the original connection and one to the hydrolic brake switch fitted very cheap mod. I purchased a polisport head light with out changing stator what would you recommend bulb power. I have the front hydrolic brake switch and rear brake switch taking their live feeds from horn
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Lights

Post by kdxsully »

Your capacity depends on what year you have I believe. See what wattage bulbs you have stock. I’d recommend using a rectifier and switching to LED bulbs.
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The stock stator is good for about 45W total, but that is RPM sensitive. You can rewind it to get a bit more output, but if you actually want to see, LEDs are the way to go.
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

"LEDs are the way to go" Do I need to add a rectifier or just add an LED bulb? Any recommendation where to buy?
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

A cheaper & less time consuming mod is to buy a CREE LED mountain bike light with rechargeable battery pack .... These can both be mounted to the handlebar pad via rubber straps & work a treat .....I have one mounted on my kdx for when we do night rides & the battery lasts approximately 3 hours ....I can't remember what lumins the light pushed out but it's very bright !
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You can run LEDs with out a rectifier, the light output will appear to flicker at lower RPMs though, and it may shorten the life of the LEDs. Several members on here have done just that. You could also go the dual sport route with a reg/rectifier, and the usual isolation of lighting system grounds, add a battery, and run any bulb type you like. I don't have a preference as I don't run lights on my bike. When night riding I use helmet lights (which is not often because most state and federal lands here you can't ride after dark anyways). A quick look through Amazon you can find lots of LED bulbs, depends on what style you need (H4, H6)