1993 kdx 125 UK model has no spark

Got questions? We got answers....
powermito81

1993 kdx 125 UK model has no spark

Post by powermito81 »

Hi guys, I've joined this forum as I purchased a old kdx a few weeks ago. Now the bike was hard to kick start when I picked it up and by hard to kick start I mean I had to repeated kick it and that still didn't start it. In the end we pushed it and bump started it which worked and got me home. After a few days I cleaned the carb and bought a new air filter and got the bike running very well. It still took alot of kicks while cold even with the choke on but once running and warm it ran great and kick started well for 20 minutes or so.

Then I tried to re start the bike half hour later and it wouldn't start at all. I pulled the spark and it had no spark. I tried a new plug and a new coil both of which didn't solve the issue. I'm trying a new although second hand CDI today to see if this solves the problem.

If the CDI replacement dosnt solve the problem could it be the regulator? Or is it then almost certainly the stator. I've already contacted a company who will fix the stator and re wind it for £130 but don't want to go straight to that incase a regulator could also cause no spark?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I will post an update in a couple hours after fitting the new CDI.

Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1993 kdx 125 UK model has no spark

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you got the service manual?

compression check?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
powermito81

Post by powermito81 »

Just to update, I wasn't sure if a new CDI would work however it worked immediately. The bike starts first kick and rides great.

My next task is to get an MOT on it my only issue is that it has no indicators at all or a switch. It is a road legal bike with a logbook but has no indicators.

Does anyone know if this is normal or not or if this will pass an MOT?

Thanks
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Here in the UK the MOT laws are quite weird....however with regards to your "indicators" if there is no switch or indicators fitted from the factory at the time when your bike was new then you will be ok ....you must however have a working mechanical horn & a reflector fitted ...if you have headlights then they must work , both hi & low beam ...you must also have a working brake light if you have headlights ....however you do not need a working headlight or a brake light for a "daytime" MOT .... You can just tape up the lights instead .