Shift turret very sticky [pics!]

Got questions? We got answers....
jimmer

Shift turret very sticky [pics!]

Post by jimmer »

Hi all,

I just got a new (old) bike.

I am taking the engine out/apart currently because of the following problem:

Gear shift shaft splines are completely fudged. (edit)

I took out the offending component. However, as I try to shift through the gears by spinning the shift turret with a phillips (while turning the crank), it seems not smooth, or takes some finagling to get it to go through the gears.

I have never even ridden the thing, I don't have much to compare it to.

See these photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NCrXUheuVoy1DAw17

Is this normal? I was hoping the shift shaft splines were from a hard kick from the previous owner, not just a symptom of a deeper problem. Seems I may not be so lucky?

My strategy may be to just button it up and try it out before I go off on a crank splitting tangent. I have a new gasket coming in the mail, a new gear OEM gear shifter, and am trying to haggle on a shift shaft with a guy...
“But to tear down a factory or to revolt against a government or to avoid repair of a motorcycle because it is a system is to attack effects rather than causes" Robert M Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

:rock: :boogie:
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Shift turret very sticky [pics!]

Post by Vossman »

Not uncommon the way you have it in your pics. Turn it upright and get the gears moving and it should smooth out for you.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Shift turret very sticky [pics!]

Post by KDXGarage »

I think the shift lever gets loose, and people keep on trucking. Eventually, it gets so bad it slips. Then they weld it on to make a bad problem. Always great! :shock: :roll:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128