Tires

Got questions? We got answers....
Rider47

Tires

Post by Rider47 »

Anyone running a Shinko Fatty and 505 Cheater? It seems to be a popular combination on the forums. Sorry if this has been talked to death. I am new to the forum and new to the KDX.
2002 KDX220R
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Tires

Post by rexemouse »

I tried the cheater recently. Super gummy and wore out too fast for me. I always come back to pirelli mt16 because it hooks up in everything and wears like iron. I've run kenda Trackmasters too, and they're great for the price.
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

I am about to put on dunlop 952's on both front and rear and try them.They have good reviews. 15 hours into my total rebuild and on dunlop geomaxs', current tires are just too something for my style and are basically worn out and chunked.
SO,having used kenda trackmasters(good durable 6 ply tire) and everything in between, I will try the 952's and I did not mean to hijack your thread. sorry
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I'm running the Shinko Fatty up front and love it. Current rear is an IRC soft terrain. I expect to switch to a Kenda Washougal later in the enduro season. Sorry, no personal experience with the 505 Cheater but I've heard good things about the tire.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I've ridden on the Shinko fatty (11-15psi) and the Goldentyre fatty (11-12psi). Hands down the Goldentyre original lasts much longer, is more predictable, has better overall traction, and doesn't crack/lose side knobs. IMO, spend the extra and get the GT fatty. Hell, try'em both and let us know which one you think is better.

I've also ridden the Shinko 505 (9-13psi) and 525 cheaters (7-13psi). I hate the 505. It acts too much like a trials tire and loads up on loose downhills resulting in some really scary situations with the rear end trying to pass the front. Worked really well in slow technical terrain. Longevity was decent but if you're a tire spinner/brake slider it will wear a lot quicker. The 525 was pretty good everywhere and didn't have the scary downhill tendencies of the 505. It was a much better tire overall and I would buy it again. The only negatives were that it wears faster than the 505 (all things being equal) and it would slide out when applying power in a turn fairly easily.

Of course, this is my experience riding in the desert Southwest terrain and with how I ride so YMMV.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

I'm running the 505 hybrid cheater on my crf230 at 9psi and like it on that bike for rocks and roots. Only downfall I found was after picking up a nail on the rear, the sidewall folded over and made it very difficult to go the mile back home. Its not a ride flat tire.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

I just purchased the 505 and fatty combo, along with Tubliss and will be mounting them up soon. Only issue is I have to wait a few more weeks to get my top end back together. I purchased this set to try out due to all of the positive reviews. I feel with my style of riding and being in the CO mountains, it should work well. I don't see where you're located at, but if you read reviews, you'll see where the 505 favors certain terrain like hard pack and rocks, while the 525 cleans out mud better. Like SS109 said, give 'em a try - you can always switch to something else if they don't work out.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I had a Michelin S12XC on the front and changed to a Shinko fat tire. Most of the trails I ride are sugar sand or mud and the difference was very noticeable. My front end felt like it was all over the place before but that's mostly because I'm going too slow. It tractors through soft sand way better now and doesn't deflect as much on rocks and roots.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I will eventually get a Goldentyre 333 on the rear for my KDX as I have one on my Husky and really like it. It wears really well so that is always a positive.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Rider47

Post by Rider47 »

I finally got some ride time on the tires and they great. Of course I’m coming from stock original 2002 tires so I’m sure anything would have been an improvement. The fatty up front seems to go where you point it and the 505 hooks nice when you’re on the throttle but not so much when braking. I haven’t been on any steep downhills but I can see where the 505 would leave something to be desired. Cannot speak to wear yet, I will as soon as I get get some more mile on the tires.
2002 KDX220R