Service Manual Error-Power Valve Identification

Got questions? We got answers....
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Service Manual Error-Power Valve Identification

Post by firsthere »

What is the result from following the manual with this incorrect information? Would it be readily noticeable when checking for proper PV opening and closing.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Service Manual Error-Power Valve Identification

Post by Vossman »

]If you had the valves reversed they would still open and close as that is driven off the exhaust advancer but since they are reversed they would severely restrict high end performance. Should be very noticeable when riding.
I don’t think is a copywriter violation but if it is mods please remove

Last edited by Vossman on 12:32 pm Mar 31 2019, edited 1 time in total.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Having done this myself, I can say that the result is an engine that runs, but not well. There's little low-end torque and the bike stalls easily. Since the sub-valve operation is reversed, port velocity is likely much reduced at low rpm's and volume is reduced at high rpm.

It's more noticeable on the 200 than the 220. I did it to both. I thought it was jetting related until I found out about the manual error. The errors exist on the first 2 years of the H-series manual, 1994-1995.

Unless you look through the exhaust port, and are knowledgeable about how the valves should look, the operation of the mechanism appears normal.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Reason asked is, I have recently finished a topend and replate. The power valves were bagged and labeled left and right but the manual was also followed to a certain extent. I can't recall exactly which took precedence at this point. The PV's were triple checked in operation with both sides in time, opening and closing flush. The bike (200) has good lowend, just a slight flat spot about 7/8 up on the powerband then pulls out of it to redline. Overall it runs well.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Sounds like you put them in right then. Maybe a jetting change would get rid of the stumble.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

ericr wrote: 12:20 pm Mar 31 2019 Having done this myself, I can say that the result is an engine that runs, but not well. There's little low-end torque and the bike stalls easily. Since the sub-valve operation is reversed, port velocity is likely much reduced at low rpm's and volume is reduced at high rpm.

It's more noticeable on the 200 than the 220. I did it to both. I thought it was jetting related until I found out about the manual error. The errors exist on the first 2 years of the H-series manual, 1994-1995.

Unless you look through the exhaust port, and are knowledgeable about how the valves should look, the operation of the mechanism appears normal.
Is there some sort of revision number printed in the newer manuals which indicates which ones have the error fixed? I believe I have a newer manual from 2000 or so, but just wanted to make sure.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=23346

-01 and -02 are the incorrect ones. -03 and newer are corrected.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Slick_Nick wrote: 08:19 am Apr 06 2019
ericr wrote: 12:20 pm Mar 31 2019 Having done this myself, I can say that the result is an engine that runs, but not well. There's little low-end torque and the bike stalls easily. Since the sub-valve operation is reversed, port velocity is likely much reduced at low rpm's and volume is reduced at high rpm.

Is there some sort of revision number printed in the newer manuals which indicates which ones have the error fixed? I believe I have a newer manual from 2000 or so, but just wanted to make sure.
First and second editions were 1994 and 1995. The -01 and -02 are the suffixes for the part number for the manual, not the years.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread