Grips - What works for you?

Got questions? We got answers....
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Grips - What works for you?

Post by ericr »

I haven't posted for awhile so I thought I'd stir things up along the likes of what's the best 2-stroke oil.

What are the best grips? Hard or soft? Small or large diameter? What type of pattern? What works for installing them?

What works for you?

I have 2 KDX's. One has Renthal diamond pattern grips in medium rubber. I've liked the soft ones in the past, but they wear out fast. I like small diameter, but at times, my hands do cramp up. This last time I installed them, I used spray paint inside the grips as glue and then safety wired them on. I bent the ends of the safety wire away from the pull of my fingertips.

Our other KDX has cheap Tusk dual density grips. They seem to be even better than the Renthals. Soft on the grip area and firmer inside and on the ends. They have both diamond and waffle pasterns under the fingers. I think I'll buy these again. They're good for me and cheap.

Renthals
Tusk
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Grips - What works for you?

Post by oldmxer95 »

I have always liked stock Honda grips. Try them, you will like them.
95 KDX 200H, 98 KX250-K5, 84 KX125-C1(Project), 21 Husqvarna FX350
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I used to run Renthal waffles, but went to Pro Taper pillow tops a few years back. Love them as they are soft and on the smaller side, but they do wear quickly, can usually get most of a seaon out of a set. Always run them with grip donuts.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

bufftester wrote: 08:53 pm Mar 25 2019 I used to run Renthal waffles, but went to Pro Taper pillow tops a few years back. Love them as they are soft and on the smaller side, but they do wear quickly, can usually get most of a season out of a set. Always run them with grip donuts.
Im with ya. I recently switched to some Moose half waffle grips, but really miss my Pro Taper pillow tops. Will prob go back to them for this year.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Been using the ODI half waffle medium compound with safety wire. Simple grips that do the job, but soon will be ordering some Renthal 1-1/8" bars so this questions was exactly what I would be searching for. I am currently planning on trying some lock-on grips. RMATVMC claims they fit an 04 KDX, so I am thinking I'll give them a go unless I hear a lot of negatives from the rest of the members here?
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

Pro Taper pillow tops with grip donuts...
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

It sounds like the Pro Taper pillow tops are popular. What makes them so good?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

My favorite grips are ODI Rogue MX. They're on the larger side and really soft, but last a long time. Currently I have ODI full waffle and was surprised at how much more I like them than the half waffle. Both of those ODI's are non locking. I shoot brake cleaner in the grip to install them and use tie wire although I don't think they'd twist without it. If you want to save the grips and just change styles, you can pinch the grip and get the brake cleaner straw in there, shoot some in and they slide right off with no residue. Wear safety glasses if you shoot brake cleaner into a grip to remove it.
Attachments
Screenshot (85).png
Screenshot (85).png (220.13 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
Screenshot (84).png
Screenshot (84).png (213.46 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

ericr wrote: 11:48 am Mar 26 2019 It sounds like the Pro Taper pillow tops are popular. What makes them so good?
I like them because they are comfortable, on the smaller diameter side, and usually you can get them with a set of grip donuts for about 10-12$. For a soft grip they actually wear pretty well. I haven't tried the ODI Emigs, but my son has a set of ODI half waffles so I may get a chance to test them out (assuming he lets me on his bike lol). I might try the Torc1 KevTek Enduro grips, they look intriguing...
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

ericr wrote: 11:48 am Mar 26 2019 It sounds like the Pro Taper pillow tops are popular. What makes them so good?
Very soft - almost to the point of being sticky, but they do seem to last. I get a couple seasons out of a pair - probably 40 to 50 (2.5 hr.) rides of Pennsylvania rocks and roots!
As someone else mentioned, I can usually find them on eBay for decent money.
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Anyone running lock-on grips? Just wondering thoughts on install and usage compared to traditional.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

From the feedback, I think my next grips will be ODI Rogue MX or Pro Taper Pillowtops. I'll definitely try the brake cleaner to install them. Thanks for the input! I'm curious too about lock-on grips. If anyone's tried them, what do you think?
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

VTMTcowboy wrote: 09:31 am Mar 27 2019 Anyone running lock-on grips? Just wondering thoughts on install and usage compared to traditional.
I am running the Emig lock-on grips. I will never mess with grip glue again :boogie: For years I ran pillow tops, and they are good grips...bolt on grips are a life changer. They have never moved or twisted. No glue, no wire, no problems :supz:

BTW...You will need to order cam L for the KDX. See the application guide. The cam for the KDX/KX hybrid was included.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

B737driver wrote: 10:22 pm Mar 28 2019
VTMTcowboy wrote: 09:31 am Mar 27 2019 Anyone running lock-on grips? Just wondering thoughts on install and usage compared to traditional.
I am running the Emig lock-on grips. I will never mess with grip glue again :boogie: For years I ran pillow tops, and they are good grips...bolt on grips are a life changer. They have never moved or twisted. No glue, no wire, no problems :supz:

BTW...You will need to order cam L for the KDX. See the application guide. The cam for the KDX/KX hybrid was included.
I suspected this might be the case after reading many reviews from other brand/model bike owners. Unfortunately sometimes the KDX gets forgotten and only the older motocross bikes get parts developed for them, so it is good to know "Cam L" is the KDX spec. I may have to give them a shot. I have a set of ODI grips that will probably get used up first, but either way, I'll go the lock-on route soon enough. Thanks!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200