Air Intake cover and jetting

Got questions? We got answers....
Hendrikder

Air Intake cover and jetting

Post by Hendrikder »

Good Day Everyone

I am new to the site and just bought myself a 2005 KDX 200 , just some questions, it doesn't have an air box lid , is it alright to be riding it like that? I saw some discussion on this, just want some opinions.

The other this I am riding at 5500ft altitude most of the time at the moment temperatures varying from 15 *C to 27*C , what will be the best jetting to use, I run with a FMF Gnarly pipe and Boysen reed valves.

Thank You All

Regards :supz:
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Air Intake cover and jetting

Post by John_S »

It's ok to ride it without the airbox lid, many people don't use it. I've tested mine a lot with and without the lid and also with and without the snorkel. You can jet it to run great no matter what configuration you have. The main difference is the sound. With the lid and snorkel its the quietest 2 stroke dirt bike I've ever heard, even with an FMF exhaust (full size bike, not PW50). Without a lid its loud and with the lid but no snorkel falls in between the two.

If you happen to want the lid and snorkel they're both still available new from Kawasaki.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Be aware if you put the lid and snorkel back on you MAY have to reject. I say this because I’ve jetted my 220 with kid on, snorkel out. If I then remove the entire lid, I get a lean bog when I pop the throttle that I do not have if I put the lid back on. I’m assuming the increased air flow from removing the lid causes a lean condition. By corollary, if it were jetted correctly with the lid off, it MIGHT be too rich if you simply add the lid. Just my $.02.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Run it without. At your altitude you will want as much air as you can get. What is the current jetting and is it running ok?
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

doakley wrote: 01:44 pm Mar 22 2019 Be aware if you put the lid and snorkel back on you MAY have to reject. I say this because I’ve jetted my 220 with kid on, snorkel out. If I then remove the entire lid, I get a lean bog when I pop the throttle that I do not have if I put the lid back on. I’m assuming the increased air flow from removing the lid causes a lean condition. By corollary, if it were jetted correctly with the lid off, it MIGHT be too rich if you simply add the lid. Just my $.02.
Doakley, I believe you are correct but I also believe the cover and snorkel choke the motor of air by design to keep the power curve a little more mellow. Opening them up and rejetting really helps.
Hendrikder

Post by Hendrikder »

Thank you very much for all the help guys, I thimk I just gona keep the entire lid off because of the altitude and it runs great like it is! I think it is still the stock jetting, it runs really well, the only thing is when I am in 1st gear and very slow like really slow and I pop the throttle it bogs a bit, but if I am like at fast walking pace and I pop the throttle it goes good!

Thank you very much
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200
Hendrikder

Post by Hendrikder »

Vossman wrote: 02:53 pm Mar 22 2019 Run it without. At your altitude you will want as much air as you can get. What is the current jetting and is it running ok?
Meant to reply to your message in my post!!

Again thanks alot!
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200
Hendrikder

Post by Hendrikder »

Oh and another thing I am running 40:1 Castrol Power 1 racing 2 stroke is that fine?
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Yup, that is more than fine. You may, emphasize the word may, be able to tune that bog out by turning the air screw in a bit. If it will rip from a decent walking pace I think you are pretty good where it’s at. Tear it up!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If it is dry, and you don't mind the noise, no lid is fine.

If it is going to be real wet, consider running it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Hendrikder

Post by Hendrikder »

Thank You very much for the advice everyone, winter is closing in here is South Africa so dry season is here, I will be running without the cover then. I am not really bothered by the sound.

Thanks Again everyone
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Excellent. Check back in after a few rides and let us know how it’s running. Would love to see a few pics of SA.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Vossman, Ha ha! I don't doubt taking the lid off and resetting will add some zap. Lots of water and mud here though. I took out the snorkel but left the lid. Besides, I'm old. I like mellow😂😂
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

No problem with mellow. Where are you at? I have the opposite problem, dry and dusty with no air. Altitude robs so much.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Eastern NC, along the coast, although a fair amount of riding is in the foothills further west in the state.