New Wiseco piston

Got questions? We got answers....
HerptyDerpty

New Wiseco piston

Post by HerptyDerpty »

I just got my new Wiseco piston in and I am a bit concerned it might be a counterfeit. I have an older Wiseco with PN 597PS and my new piston is the 711M06600. When comparing the two the newer piston appears to be cast where the older one is obviously a forging. Here are some photos comparing the two. https://photos.app.goo.gl/opb5ny6iKyu41tWr8 https://photos.app.goo.gl/jfreukQwJ1PWMXRNA https://photos.app.goo.gl/mKSvbZtextgNReVi8 https://photos.app.goo.gl/rjnaZJheQhLGMRdPA https://photos.app.goo.gl/THG5PZUsJbFHHbQq7. The older piston (the one with the wrist pin still in) has a smooth finish like you'd expect from a forged piece where the newer one had that rough sand cast finish to the interior. The new one looks like an ok piston however I thought that the Wiseco pistons are suppose to be forged, not cast. Does anyone have any insight? Is this a real Wiseco? Are some Wisecos now cast?
Garage:
1989 hybrid kx125 chassis w/ kdx200e engine
1978 gl1000
1984 vt500c
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: New Wiseco piston

Post by Slick_Nick »

Could call Wiseco and ask, but that doesn’t look like a legitimate piston to me. I know they own ProX who makes the cast version for the KDX, could be a packaging mistake. But who knows.
'00 KDX 220R
HerptyDerpty

Post by HerptyDerpty »

I've already emailed them, Just waiting for a response. The odd thing is that the new piston looks exactly the same as the Wiseco piston that came out of the engine I'm rebuilding, the other old piston I received in a used cylinder I bought off ebay. Here is a photo of the two newer pistons. https://photos.app.goo.gl/nieAxnpxe82pD5zTA https://photos.app.goo.gl/zraLxK3ZrQ3zhNF26
Garage:
1978 gl1000
1984 vt500c
HerptyDerpty

Post by HerptyDerpty »

I just got done emailing with Wiseco and they assured me that it is the real Mccoy. It still looks like a casting to me when compared to the older one but I suppose that's just how they look now.
Garage:
1978 gl1000
1984 vt500c
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

597PS is a real old numbering system. I think it is over ten years old.

I don't see anything that looks fake to me.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Agree with KDXGarage. Legit.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

so is it cast of forged? asking as i am due for a piston replacement and i much prefer a cast piston
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Over here in the UK a lot of engine builders won't use Wiseco pistons due to many having issues with the ring pins coming out & other quality issues due to some being manufactured overseas in different countries ( cheaper to manufacture )
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Which Wiseco pistons are not made in the USA?
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I cannot answer that question personally as I'm only going on what was said/heard ....I have just googled "wiseco piston problems" & there are a few stories of ring pins working loose on some Pistons ( both car & motorcycle ) but nothing I read mentioned the country of origin.... I'm assuming like most large manufacturers of goods sometimes the company will relocate or set up a new plant in a different country where the labour is cheaper to manufacture their product ... As Wiseco is a USA brand with a manufacturing plant in the states, then you guys probably wouldn't have a problem , it's probably customers who live within the European market that may find their piston was in fact made in let's say Taiwan 😁
HerptyDerpty

Post by HerptyDerpty »

kdxdazz wrote: 12:59 am Feb 21 2019 so is it cast of forged? asking as i am due for a piston replacement and i much prefer a cast piston
Wiseco pistons are forged.
Garage:
1978 gl1000
1984 vt500c
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

cornishwrecker220 wrote: 11:40 am Feb 21 2019 I cannot answer that question personally as I'm only going on what was said/heard ....I have just googled "wiseco piston problems" & there are a few stories of ring pins working loose on some Pistons ( both car & motorcycle ) but nothing I read mentioned the country of origin.... I'm assuming like most large manufacturers of goods sometimes the company will relocate or set up a new plant in a different country where the labour is cheaper to manufacture their product ... As Wiseco is a USA brand with a manufacturing plant in the states, then you guys probably wouldn't have a problem , it's probably customers who live within the European market that may find their piston was in fact made in let's say Taiwan 😁
From their website:

Wiseco leads the performance aftermarket by producing the highest quality forged pistons for Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Snowmobiles, Outboard Marine, and Motorcycles right here in the USA. Wiseco is unique because we forge all of our own pistons in house, and produce all of our own forge tooling right here in the USA. This allows us to control all aspects of our manufacturing process from raw bar to skirt coating finished parts.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

cornishwrecker220 wrote: 11:40 am Feb 21 2019 I cannot answer that question personally as I'm only going on what was said/heard ....I have just googled "wiseco piston problems" & there are a few stories of ring pins working loose on some Pistons ( both car & motorcycle ) but nothing I read mentioned the country of origin.... I'm assuming like most large manufacturers of goods sometimes the company will relocate or set up a new plant in a different country where the labour is cheaper to manufacture their product ... As Wiseco is a USA brand with a manufacturing plant in the states, then you guys probably wouldn't have a problem , it's probably customers who live within the European market that may find their piston was in fact made in let's say Taiwan 😁
Spreading rumours can ruin a company. You can read horror stories about every piston manufacturer out there. 99 out of 100 times it’s the engine builder screwing up and trying to cover his ass. Personally I would never hesitate to put a wiseco piston in my bike and that’s what I run. Give it time to warm up before getting on the throttle hard and you’re good to go.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod