Water Pump Question

Got questions? We got answers....
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Water Pump Question

Post by doakley »

Searched and found a lot on replacing pump seals. My question is how do you know if your water pump is pumping correctly? Or—Is it possible mynoverheating problem has nothing to do with the autoclutch but my pump is worn and not pumping adequately? Just reaching for a solution here and appreciate help.
kdxdazz

Re: Water Pump Question

Post by kdxdazz »

My bike when I bought it was overheating terribly, I took the cap off took a look inside and could see the cores were blocked, I had to cut the bottom tanks off then feed a hacksaw blade down every core
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

What year is your bike?
It never hurts to do maintenance!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Bike is not short on maintenance. Just trying to look for reasons other than the autoclutch.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Short of installing a flow meter I usually take the cap off the radiator and start the bike. You should see bubbling and fluid movement. If you suspect a pump issue ensure the impeller is not spinning on the pump shaft and that none of the vanes are damaged. One video I saw a while back guy thought he had a blockage so hooked up a garden hose to the hose coming out of the pump and made sure he had flow coming out with the hose on. Not sure how good a check that is tho...
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ok, more info. The bike is a 99 220 but the radiators are 2 yrs old, Chinese aftermarket. (Tore up the OEM’s in a race)
-never had a problem overheating until I installed the EFM autoclutch.
-took the cover off the water pump today. All looks good to me, no broken vanes, case is not scored, impeller turns with the engine without slipping, no free play.
-changed rad cap to 1.6 psi model, running 50/50 antifreeze/water. Seems to be ok in open stuff but gets hot in tight single track. I suspect reduced air flow due to slower speeds and lots of clutch slipping.
- I’m going to crank it with the water pump hose off and see how strong the pump is.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you have the reserve tank?

by the way, BEST ANSWER on what happened to the stock radiators!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Haha, yeah, well, I tore up both radiators in the Sandlapper enduro a couple of years ago. Seems I just had a love/hate relationship with trees!
Yes, I have the reserve tank. At the Sumter enduro it boiled out the majority of the coolant and it overflowed out the overflow hose for the reserve tank. Confirmed this morning the water pump seems to be doing its thing. At least if you pop off the bleed screw on top of the cylinder it spews coolant out in an increasing amount with engine rpm. I don't think it is the pump.

My plan right now is to fill it with Engine Ice when that comes in this week then ride it in the Eagles Nest enduro Sunday. If it still overheats, I'm going to pull the autoclutch out and send it to EFM just to make sure it is working correctly, since I did buy it used and am the 3rd owner. Depending on what Gary at EFM tells me, I may just go back to the manual clutch and foot brake.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Your clutch would have to really be generating a crap ton of heat to overheat the bike as the cooling system is independent of the sump portion of the engine. When was the last time you checked your jetting for a lean condition? It may also be the replacement radiators just not flowing enough, some folks have had varying success with them.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Could be a leaking seal. Is your transmission oil turning funky colors?
You could try different oils as well, such as ATF, just a better brand etc.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

No water in the oil (ATF).
Haven’t changed the jetting in over a year of racing. Sounds like it might be a good idea to just switch back to the manual clutch and see if the overheating problem just goes away since it didn’t start until I installed the autoclutch. Unfortunately I don’t have time to switch them out before I leave for the FL enduro on Saturday.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

BTW, I really appreciate everyone’s feedback and suggestions.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Something is not right, as many people have raced enduros and hare scrambles with KDX's and not had it boil all the time.

Which coolant / water / etc. solution have you been using?
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

From what I have read, it seems like things went south after the Chinese radiator install. I'd just give the whole cooling system a though check including a new radiator cap & factory radiators. Ouch!
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Anybody have a preferred vendor for OEM radiators?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

eBay used ??