32 pilot jet but runs awesome

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxdazz

32 pilot jet but runs awesome

Post by kdxdazz »

after over a year of trying to get my kdx220 running well and failing until i realized the emulsion tube was was worn out i got a new emulsion tube machined up and my once junk RB modded carb runs like a new one,bike is 95 percent dialed in and runs like i didn't know a 2 stroke could,my question is everybody talks about using a 40 or 42 pilot jet but mine will only run well with a 32 pilot jet,anything more than that and it runs rich to the point of not being able to idle,i also have a pwk33 perfectly dialed in and still needs a 32 pilot jet so i don't have a carb issue. engine is completely rebuilt and i am running an airbox opening of 10cmx1.5cm. could anybody give me a list of things to check of why i need such a small pilot jet
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 32 pilot jet but runs awesome

Post by bufftester »

IF your intake and exhaust tracts are mechanically sound (no air leaks, tears/holes in boots or pipes, etc.) AND you have jetted using the jetting guide, AND everything else is OEM spec, then your bike takes a 32. Every bike will jet slightly differently due to a myriad of reasons. Have you changed slides or slide cutout? Your emulsion tube may be repaired but there could be other issues within the carb. Or your bike could just need a 32. I agree it seems a bit small and I'd be leary of a lean condition. What main jet are you running?, needle and clip position? Mods to exhaust or intake? Lots of variables.
kdxdazz

Re: 32 pilot jet but runs awesome

Post by kdxdazz »

main jet is 152, cek needle machined down to about a ceh, clip 3 although i have yet to experiment with clip position. fuel screw at 2 turns out although when the bike gets hot i go to almost 3 turns. procircuit platinum 2 pipe with stock muffler. slide on the RB modded carb i believe is machined down to number 7. no leaks or tears anywhere not even from the exhaust where it meets the cylinder. tip of the muffler is always wet,everything else is OEM spec. only seal i couldn't change was the little packing seal that goes on the right hand power valve rod. i live in thailand where its hot and humid although its cool season here now 32 degrees centigrade, 46 percent humidity, altitude about 800 metres, i've gone up to 1200metres and it runs worse which suggests i am not lean at all
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)