Crackly crunchy sounds

Got questions? We got answers....
CastyMctangles

Crackly crunchy sounds

Post by CastyMctangles »

Hey all, I'm brand new to the group, 56 years old and just bought my first KDX a couple months ago. Also my first dirt bike in about 3 decades. Ive done a couple trail rides on tbe bike since getting it and it performed flawlessly on the wet slimy single track we have here in the Pacific Northwet. However on my last ride a friend and I got pretty lost and since I was running low on fuel we decided to take our chances with Johnny law and ride back to the staging area on the pavement. During the high speed (well sorta high speed) trip to the staging area I noticed the bike making what could best be described as a crunchy crackly nose from the engine in the higher rpm range. The bike seemed to be running fine but it had me pretty concerned. This is my first 2 Smoke and I'm wondering if its just a KDX thing or if my motor is going to explode into a million pieces very soon. Thanks in advance for the wisdom to follow.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Crackly crunchy sounds

Post by bufftester »

200 or 220? Did it make the sounds when you were accelerating, decelerating, or at constant throttle?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

According to your profile it's a 94 KDX200. The first thing I would check would be powervalves. The subvalves tend to get shredded, although they don't generally make much noise unless a piece ends up in the cylinder. In any case it sounds like you'll be having to take the engine down to inspect.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, that's where I was headed...E model check KIPS subvalves, 220 check piston. Either way you're looking at some disassembly.

Unrelated, where in the PNW?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Occasionally I can hear the chain hitting against the front swingarm guard/guide, especially at steady speeds. That sounds crunchy.
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

John_S wrote: 04:08 pm Jan 11 2019 Occasionally I can hear the chain hitting against the front swingarm guard/guide, especially at steady speeds. That sounds crunchy.
That’s what I was thinking.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you still hear it while sitting still and the chain is not moving, then ... it's not the chain. :grin: If you think it is the chain, find a long smooth downhill and put it in neutral. Turn off the engine. Oil will still be flung around inside it. Ride with the engine off to hear other sounds.

Besides that, I always thought t sounded cool when riding with the engine off. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CastyMctangles

Post by CastyMctangles »

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to do a bit more investigating and will up date.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Just curious as people sometimes describe sounds in different ways...is it possibly an overly rich main jet that you noticed at higher sustained rpm range on the road?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Vossman
Supporting Member II