What are the thoughts on Lectron carbs?

Got questions? We got answers....
javjacob

Re: What are the thoughts on Lectron carbs?

Post by javjacob »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:59 pm May 01 2019 I think that on a couple of occasions, people have gone from worn out "carburetor A" to brand new "carburetor B", then they love carburetor B and poo-poo on carburetor A.
^^^This!^^^ People fail to realize these bikes are about 15-25 years old now. Carburetors wear out and that is why RB only sells brand new modded carbs now... good decision to protect his reputation from some knuckle dragging bafoon who wanted his wore out carb modded and wants to blame him because it doesn't run like it should.

IMHO the RB mod carb is the best carb for the KDX especially for the money. My 220 has a brand new RB moded carb and my 200 will be getting one once he gets them back in stock.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

At 13,000 feet, I'd have to rejet myself, or stick a Lectron in my mouth....
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

doakley wrote: 02:23 pm Jun 17 2019 At 13,000 feet, I'd have to rejet myself, or stick a Lectron in my mouth....
Haha! That might work! I just received my Lectron this evening and will hopefully get it installed within the next few days. I look forward to a week of testing at Taylor Park, CO during the 4th where the elevation will be between 9,400 and 12,000 feet. :cool:
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has worked with Lectron over the last few years to get the carburetor to fit properly on KDXs. I was actually amazed at how easy the carb went on after hearing all of the fitment issues folks had in the past. Installed the carb and throttle cable today, kicked it over and it fired right up. I didn't have to adjust the idle at all, and after letting it warm up a bit, took it for a cruise. As others have mentioned, the throttle response is instant, and I can now blip the throttle in 3rd and bring the front end up. :wink:

I didn't want to open it up since I wasn't geared up, so I will have to see how the top end response is. I had to max out the adjusters on the provided throttle cable and it still has just slightly too much play for my liking, but it will work for now until I can get that dialed in. As of right now I am very impressed with the Lectron and think its going to work great for the extreme altitude changes here in CO.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

That's great to hear. Did they shave the top cap down and counter sink the screw that hits the frame? Does the carb sit straight or lean at an angle to not hit the frame? This is the first I'm hearing of a direct install without having to mess around with it.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Yes, they shaved the top cap down, but just used a regular screw. The carb sits straight up and down and just barely clears the frame.

ImageKDX Lectron 2 , on Flickr

ImageKDX Lectron 3 , on Flickr

ImageKDX Lectron 4 , on Flickr
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the pictures!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Yes thank you for the pictures. I'm glad to hear it cleared the frame and sits as it should. It looks really nice!
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

If you ever measure MPG or range with Lectron please post your results. When riding fast I can get 12 to 15 MPG with stock carb, 18 to 22 on a regular riding day.
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

What is the difference in stock carb versus regular riding day?

One seems to describe riding with a particular carburetor while the other describes a type of riding.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

lucy wrote: 04:28 pm Jun 21 2019 What is the difference in stock carb versus regular riding day?

One seems to describe riding with a particular carburetor while the other describes a type of riding.
I think he means a stock one for both types of riding, and the difference in mpg for those types of riding
I like turtles
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

That looks good, fits perfect.

We gotta go ride.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Damn! Solved the fitment issue so there goes that excuse!
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

doakley wrote: 09:18 pm Jun 21 2019 Damn! Solved the fitment issue so there goes that excuse!
:lol:
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

kdxsully wrote: 04:32 pm Jun 21 2019
lucy wrote: 04:28 pm Jun 21 2019 What is the difference in stock carb versus regular riding day?

I think he means a stock one for both types of riding, and the difference in mpg for those types of riding
You are correct - typing in a big hurry - I could have said that a lot clearer.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

rungrandpa wrote: 04:12 pm Jun 21 2019 If you ever measure MPG or range with Lectron please post your results. When riding fast I can get 12 to 15 MPG with stock carb, 18 to 22 on a regular riding day.
Unfortunately I didn't get to check what type of mileage I was getting before swapping out the carb. I bought the bike back in March and it ran like crap. Did the top end/cylinder plating, jetting changes, and some other things and put it back together. It still was running really rich. I went through about 3 to 3.5 gallons really quick before switching out the carb, so I'm "assuming" that I was getting on the lower end of what you are saying above, maybe even worse.

Yesterday I took off the odometer and plugged the hole, so now I don't have a way to track mileage accurately. You might want to ask Thirdgenlxi what he is getting off road. For on road purposes he stated in the following post that "I used to get about 36-38 mpg on the street, now I'm getting a consistent 49, with the highest being 55 mpg." Anybody ever run a Lectron carb?
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

Vossman wrote: 05:59 pm Jun 21 2019 We gotta go ride.
Absolutely! I just replied to your PM. :cool:
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

doakley wrote: 09:18 pm Jun 21 2019 Damn! Solved the fitment issue so there goes that excuse!
haha! just do it! :grin:

As much as you ride/race, I think it would be worth it. However, I'm not sure what your elevation changes are at the different races you do and how your current jetting works. If it works well the way it is currently setup, I'd say to stay with what you have. If it's not running perfect, I would think that a Lectron would solve any issues you're having.

I've had an opportunity over the past couple of days to do some riding (just around the house though) and I'm really liking the way my bike runs now. I'm looking forward to doing some riding in the Rockies to test it out at higher elevations and different terrain.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Another lectron owner here in Colorado on a KDX220. Works great, fits great, I had no problems with the throttle cable. All I ever had to adjust was the idle screw. A typical riding day for me in the woods is 20-30 miles and I always have about a half or slightly more of a tank left if that helps anyone out with mileage. I had the stock carb dialed in pretty good, and the lectron has less hit but is more linear, which I prefer.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

phaedrus wrote: 10:54 pm Jul 01 2019 Another lectron owner here in Colorado on a KDX220. Works great, fits great, I had no problems with the throttle cable. All I ever had to adjust was the idle screw. A typical riding day for me in the woods is 20-30 miles and I always have about a half or slightly more of a tank left if that helps anyone out with mileage. I had the stock carb dialed in pretty good, and the lectron has less hit but is more linear, which I prefer.
Great to hear that your Lectron is working well for you too, and welcome to the forum! What part of CO are you located? I'm packing up and heading to Taylor Park tomorrow, so I will get to test out the Lectron at some higher elevations. I won't be able to do any of the passes since they are closed (that I know of) due to snow and avalanche debris, but hopefully some single track and other trails are open at the lower elevations around 9k-10k feet.
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200