What are the thoughts on Lectron carbs?

Got questions? We got answers....
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: What are the thoughts on Lectron carbs?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

rungrandpa wrote: 04:12 pm Jun 21 2019 If you ever measure MPG or range with Lectron please post your results. When riding fast I can get 12 to 15 MPG with stock carb, 18 to 22 on a regular riding day.
I know this isn't completely relevant to many, as many don't ride their KDX's on the road...... but just for some real world numbers between both carbs. I ride my KDX on the street as a supermoto as well..... my stock Keihin was in great shape and the bike ran great with it.... jetting was about spot on and I was having no issues (I wanted the Lectron mainly cuz I'm planning on riding my bike cross country on the trans america trail, going from sea level to 13,000 ft passes and back to sea level, and didn't want to mess with jetting). With the Keihin I was getting a consistent 36-38 MPG on the road. Soon as I switched to the Lectron it shot straight up to a consistent 49 MPG, with as high as 56 when really taking it easy. I usually don't have to switch to reserve until about 110-115 miles on a tank, so if I pushed it I could get to or close to 150 miles per tank. Like I said, I know that's not really relevant to dirt riding..... but just for some real world number comparisons. Oh yea and I'm still on the stock tank

For dirt, I have done a 4 hour team race solo..... 11 laps and 61 miles, and never even had to switch to reserve. Also did a 70 mile national enduro and didn't need to refuel. I can ride all day trail riding and never have to worry about it. It's nice never having to worry about fuel, haha
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

That is an amazing difference. When I jet for performance, my MPG is worse than my KTM 300. I think it's because I ride it in the upper RPM range. It sounds like a worth while upgrade.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I ride with Thirdgenlxi some and can vouch for his ability to ride much further on a tank than I can with the stock carb. I’ve been thinking of getting a Lectron just so I can skip the gas stops at enduros and gain the time back (I often need it!).
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

GATOROC wrote: 11:56 pm Jul 01 2019
phaedrus wrote: 10:54 pm Jul 01 2019 Another lectron owner here in Colorado on a KDX220. Works great, fits great, I had no problems with the throttle cable. All I ever had to adjust was the idle screw. A typical riding day for me in the woods is 20-30 miles and I always have about a half or slightly more of a tank left if that helps anyone out with mileage. I had the stock carb dialed in pretty good, and the lectron has less hit but is more linear, which I prefer.
Great to hear that your Lectron is working well for you too, and welcome to the forum! What part of CO are you located? I'm packing up and heading to Taylor Park tomorrow, so I will get to test out the Lectron at some higher elevations. I won't be able to do any of the passes since they are closed (that I know of) due to snow and avalanche debris, but hopefully some single track and other trails are open at the lower elevations around 9k-10k feet.
Sorry for the late reply. I'm in Parker, south of Denver. I ride rampart range trails most of the time I'm riding as it's so close. Just got back from a 30 mile ride there. I actually decided to richen up the metering rod as it was feeling a little flat at the lower rpms. All I have to say is "wow", it hits so much better now on the initial throttle opening and still pulls hard and linearly as before. And as my previous comment, I started with a full tank and half at least a half tank left. This is with a leak at the petcock and riding pretty fast.
KDXTRACTOR200

Post by KDXTRACTOR200 »

thirdgenlxi wrote: 02:08 am Dec 24 2018 I absolutely LOVE mine! :grin: :supz: It is indeed a tight fit, and they can't ever seem to send the right length throttle cable. But if you don't mind working out a few very minor odds and ends, the carb itself is fantastic and absolutely worth it. It will get rid of any and all carb/jetting problems. No bogs, no lags, no loading up, no clearing out, no fouled plugs.... just instant crisp on demand power, anywhere you need it. I know they're pricey but I promise you won't regret it
What was your fix for the throttle cable. I'm having the same issue
KDF200X

Post by KDF200X »

I was impressed with the Lectron.

Last winter I did a hybrid build. Even with a home design air boot replacement and a Frankensteind expansion chamber, it idled from the beginning.(the bike had never idled for me... 30 year old carb)
'86 Kdx200/ '04 Kx250f - hybrid
'06 Kx450f
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:59 pm May 01 2019 I think that on a couple of occasions, people have gone from worn out "carburetor A" to brand new "carburetor B", then they love carburetor B and poo-poo on carburetor A.
So that was truly a deep thought provoking utterance by the Entity. Profound actually. I had to reread it a few times and this is not my first time to read this thread as i am close to buying a new carb. We aren't comparing apples to apples nor apples to uranges (ktm hit my thoughts) rather completely different and brand new performance carbs vs. generally worn out stock carbs. I have a stock yet rebuilt ( jet block gasket inclusive) worn out 22 year old carb and the Entity just put me back into deep thought. Regardless of chosen new carb,it is going to be better overall than my current carb.

Synopsis- I am now back to rethinking the direction I need to go. Which new carb will best fit my needs? I now lean towards the RB but will read all i can about the lectron.

Can anyone else please add to this discussion?
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

2001 KDX 220r the stock carb had issues, was jetted for colorado but never ran correct, bowl was off and dumped fule if leaned over etc, MPG was not good , I was going to send off to get reworked by Freddette, I just ordered the LECTRON and man Im glad I did. Instant throttle repsonse, idles perfect, easy to start no matter temp, way more low end torque (which is what i want for colorado single track) Makes my bike feel more like my ktm, good grunt low and clean power instantly, Im also excited about 30-40% better MPG, cant wait to get into mountains and really test it so far, the fit was easy and it was already setup from Lectron, as soon as it was installed, started right up and only had to adjust idle. thats it, Yes it was Well worth the money
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

Lectron is well worth the investment, My bike in colorado starts whens its freezing outside first kick, starts now on warm spring days, It runs great no matter the weather, alititude etc. Runs very clean, I can notice a diff down low, its got more torque and I can longer before needing gas. It has been a great add to my bike. SO far its amazing !
2001 kdx 220r lectron, uni air filter, geared 13/49, fmf gnarly desert w silencer, stealthy flywheel weight, this bike RIPS and CRAWLS and follows my exprienced crew on their Betas/Ktms anywhere colorado single track can be found