Advancing the KIPS

Got questions? We got answers....
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Advancing the KIPS

Post by jjavaman »

Hi guys, anyone ever heard of advancing the KIPS valve open 1 tooth? There is a fella on this Facebook page I belong to(old guys who ride dirt bikes) who claims this really wakes the bike up. It is winter so if anyone has done this and it works this could be my winter project!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Advancing the KIPS

Post by bufftester »

It has been suggested in the past, I think a few folks on here may have even experimented with it. I would think that advancing 1 tooth may partially open the subport below normal activation rpm, and if compensated for with jetting changes might make the bottom feel a little more, but likely at the expense of top end where the advanced valves may actually partially block the subports. Not going to hurt anything to try if you were bored I suppose.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You can adjust the governor in a lot of ways. Shims, springs, and the balls can all be changed and each will affect the opening of the power valve without possibly putting undue stress on the KIPS actuator rod pin.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I played around with the opening of the kips once on my 220 just to see what difference if any it made. First I removed 1 of the copper washers , then both, then the ball bearing & spring......with the washers removed the RPM was slightly higher before the kips opened ( great for steep slippery technical climbs when you don't want the rear wheel breaking away too soon ) When I removed the ball bearing & spring the kips seemed to opened up much sooner !
Dan 250sr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Dan 250sr »

I got my governor arm in the wrong place, which meant they were a fraction open... It took away the snap, and a bitch to start when cold