kips rattle?

Got questions? We got answers....
rofti

kips rattle?

Post by rofti »

Esteemed scribes.

My 2006 kdx 200 was returned to me after a top en rebuild. It runs well (I think, as I do not have much to compare it to) but the kips is silent. Short of opening the inspection plug on the side, is it possible not to hear a functional kips?

The wizard who worked on the bike, serviced/cleaned the kips.

Much obliged.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: kips rattle?

Post by bufftester »

Yes, it is possible, especially after a fresh grease repack/rebuild. You'll know when you hit the throttle though.
rofti

Post by rofti »

"Hitting the throttle" is still a debatable point. I am still feeling this thing out. I am also trying to lift the front on demand, to help with technical riding. Hanging vertically is still not a normal feeling. So i back off before any power surge... Thank you for the reply.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not much debate on the throttle and KIPS actuation. Slowly roll on the throttle in a mid gear (3-5) and at around 6k rpm you will know when your KIPS actuates by the change in tone and the feel of the bike. If it doesn't change at all above 6k it likely isn't working. If the wizard who did the work wasn't aware that the KIPS actuator shaft is held on by a reverse threaded bolt he could easily break the centrifugal actuating pin in the lower right case before realizing his mistake, it's quite a common occurence, and renders the KIPS inactive. Pop off the round plug on the left side of the head and start the bike. As RPMs increase you should see the KIPS shaft rotate if everything is working.
rofti

Post by rofti »

I just want to say that the thing works like a cracker. I did my first funduro over the weekend. The kips is working. It has beautiful low end grunt and a nice power band (for me, anyway). Problems caused by riding it like a nancy. Problems solved by riding it like a hooligan.