Shock Shim Stack

Got questions? We got answers....
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Shock Shim Stack

Post by firsthere »

I'm doing a routine service on the shock and though to check if there is a slightly "more plush" setting for slow, rocky, trail work. Anyone have a shim stack recommendation for the H rear shock?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Shock Shim Stack

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Years ago when I was working on KDX suspension for members in the forum, I did one guy's shock that wanted a revalve for slow, tight stuff. He and his A level buddy were quite pleased with 32.15x8 instead of the stock 38.2x8.

Call up MX Tech and ask about a ten pack of 38.15. Shipping is sometimes not as bad as other places. Tell them the guy that mailed Jeremy Wilkey a VHS cassette of him being on Supermoto TV in 2004 sent you. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

I softened high-speed compression for single track by adding one, 16x0.30 pivot shim to the bottom of the compression stack. It seems to be working well.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Interesting variations on the approach to plushness. I assume the rebound is good as is?

On my 650r KYB shock, it is widely accepted to remove one of the (7) 38 x.2 low speed compression shims and one 34 x .25 on the high. Possibly this would be an reasonable compromise vs waiting on new shims for the KDX. Maybe add a pivot shim to the base to fill out the stack also. The 650r does weigh 75 lbs more though.