Do you Take off the Bike Seat After Washing?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Do you Take off the Bike Seat After Washing?

Post by KDXGarage »

Does any of you take the seat off after washing the bike? I never really did, but someone on another forum said he took the seat off and leaned it against a wall, with the nose pointing up to allow any water inside to better drain and dry. Someone else mentioned that on multi-piece covers, every stitch hole was a way for water to get in. That made my eyes open up. It made a lot of sense at that point. I am going to try to remember to do that from now on.

Does anyone here let it dry like that?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Do you Take off the Bike Seat After Washing?

Post by bufftester »

After every outing I pull the seats because I clean and oil my filters. I always check to ensure the airbox drain is clear and free of gunk while it's open. Little chance of getting a lot of water in the airbox during washing unless you're aiming your power washer up in there. Also make sure you are plugging the exhaust BEFORE you wash.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ditto. Clean and oil that air filter religously!
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

This summer when it was so dry and dusty I'd remove the seat, remove the air filter (change if necessary), and then wipe down with contact cleaner to remove all the built up dust and dirt. I am sure it can't hurt, just to make sure water doesn't get into the engine. Might add it into the cleaning routine as I had never really thought of it!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

My bike has a custom seat with stitching on the outside, I don't take the seat off although I do agree it's a good idea, I made up a solution of silicon and turpentine and coated the stitching with it
High pressure water will make its way in to the seat and best to avoid it anyway you can