The new DeltaForceIII

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

The new DeltaForceIII

Post by canyncarvr »

I got mine!

Well, I've had it for a few weeks actually. Haven't put it in 'cuz I had a few questions about it...and here are some answers.

Generally: It's a snap-together unit. No screws. It has a rad-valve looking 'air former' in front of the 8-reed double-vee cage. It sure seems to take up a lot of space/volume.

Talked to Jeff (tech) @ MT yesterday. I didn't want to put the unit in until I knew more about the stiffness of reeds used in the III.

The DFII is generally recommended to be setup with the 'stiffer' reeds and the reed stops set to 'low' tension for the KDX. I've tried that. Didn't like it. Lost too much bottom-end. My choice is the 'low' reed AND the stops set to low tension.

Keep in mind that most of my riding is single track stuff. I'm rarely over 1/2 throttle, but I want to run the -30 (rev) cuz it's just more fun!! The lo-lo setup suits my requirements best.

Anyway, Jeff said that he could set me up with some softer reeds, but I should try it as-is first. He said this cage was specifically designed for use with the KDX, reed tension and length of reed was designed for use in a woods environment. He said the two units (II/III) didn't compare well in regard to reed tension because of the difference in the units, but the reeds used out of the box were pretty soft.

Probably will stick it in today...take it for a spin on the morrow.

Hey!! I even got a 'free' T-shirt with the new valve!!

Well...maybe it was just one helluva expensive shirt...and I got a free valve?

Cheers!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

MT? What's that short fer? Did you mean MXtech or MX south? I have been looking for the new III's but haven't found them available yet... haven't looked for a few weeks though.... I loved the II's but got a new ride now and let it go with my 92. BTW... I have a set of (new) extra reeds for the DFII's if someone wants them fairly cheap. Whoops... don't want this to be deleted! Hey wait... I'm the admin here, guess it's good to go unless Okie happens to hack this site... what a nightmare for tonight! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "

Post by Guest »

Mr. Admin, Sir:

MT= MotoTassinari

You might want to look into exactly which reeds you have, cuz anyone wanting them should want to know.

The part numbers are different between the two types.

Looking at the two side-by-side there is an obvious difference in the crosshatch pattern...but I goofed it by NOT taking pictures of them both. I don't have the high tension reeds anymore, and I don't remember which was the smaller hatch, which the larger.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ahhh... yes MotoTassinari !
When I ordered the extra set of reeds for my DFII for my 95 KDX there was only one part for them. This is what I ordered.

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/wc.dll?w ... 3956J~~~~0

BTW... I changed the permissions on the guest account on this Q&A forum. Please register... it doesn't cost a thing but a little bit of your time.
Thanks!

Gotcha....CC! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Looking forward to a ride report CC. I have the origional DF's. Dennis Kirk had a sale of left over stuff and I got them for about $70. They are really nice but I do notice some fluttering noises especially at lower rpms when I wick the throttle past half open. I can play with the trottle and listen to the flutter come and go as I ride under load and at low rpms.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, please post a ride report when you get time.

Also, did you say their were two different kinds of reeds for the Delta Force II? I never paid too much attention, so I thought there was one kind of reeds, but the valve could be set at wo different tensions on the reeds.

Thanks.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

When you ask the question like that I get the impression you don't believe me, but don't want to call me an outright liar!! ;)

Part numbers are posted elsewhere...I can get them for you if you like sometime when I'm NOT on a 26K dialup.

Yes, I did say that. Yes, it is so.

Yes, you can set either type of reed with either tension stop setting.

I didn't like hi-reed/lo-tension so I didn't bother with hi-reed/hi-tension.

I did try lo-reed/hi-tension..didn't like it, either.

If I ever get off this 'puter I'm off to the garage to put the thing in, then off for a ride!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So CC.... Can you tell by the end of the link to what I bought what reeds I was sold??? Do they sell the stiff reeds by default? :x
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr wrote:When you ask the question like that I get the impression you don't believe me, but don't want to call me an outright liar!! ;)

Part numbers are posted elsewhere...I can get them for you if you like sometime when I'm NOT on a 26K dialup.

Yes, I did say that. Yes, it is so.

Yes, you can set either type of reed with either tension stop setting.

I didn't like hi-reed/lo-tension so I didn't bother with hi-reed/hi-tension.

I did try lo-reed/hi-tension..didn't like it, either.

If I ever get off this 'puter I'm off to the garage to put the thing in, then off for a ride!!!
No no. I am just trying to clarify. I am not questioning you at all. I have read many posts on the various reed valves. I guess the problem is that I must not have read them closely. If I had read that information before, I forgot it. I remembered you mentioning a low tension and a high tension setting. If a post concerns a product that I don't already own or plan to buy soon, I sometimes don't pay 100% attention.

In summary, I didn't know that there were two different kinds of reeds available for it. I always asssumed there was one style. Thanks for the clarification.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's news to me too Jason.
Two types of reeds, each with two different tension settings....did not know that.
Well, I knew about the tension settings, just not the choice in reed stiffness.

So CC, did you get a test ride in? I'm guessing you didn't ride in the ISDE event today then either? If so, then how about posting a ride report. I'm going to post one right now so I can claim the first tag.
Hey! Wait! There's no topic set up for Ride Reports. Might I suggest a new venue for posting rides?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Jason!!! I was just yanking your chain to see if you would let me yank it!!

CUT IT OUT!!! ;)

RE: 'Can you tell which...'

Nope.

My experience is 'hi by default' unless you ask. Hi is what I got when I ordered replacement reeds for my DFII. When I saw the difference, I called 'em up and got it straightened out.

re: PN:
Lo tension reed PN: 2P110-1
Hi tension reed PN: 2P117-1

The low tension reed is used with a high tension reed stop. That stop is grey in color.

The higher tension reed is used with a low tension reed stop. That stop is black in color.

His recommendation is the higher reed tension (P117) with the lower (black) reed stop.

RE: DFIII report

Incredible!! Wonderful!!! I can't say enough good things about it!!!!!! (or add enough !!! apparently).

I rode a gear higher in most places. Two hills I've used as testers for different things....the first I've always had to get to first gear about 3/4 the way up..part of that due to a turn that slows me down...and it gets steeper right there, too. Yesterday? Second gear all the way up!! More'n once!! I think it would have pulled it in 3rd gear if I had the cajones to keep it WOT all the way up.

The other hill? Clay. Slick. Steep. A little problem with a good sized root that keeps your speed down at the bottom...hit it TOO hard and you're going to wreck. Last weekend I spent most of the day on this hill helping 'A' riders pick their bikes out of the woods after they wrecked, or pushing and yanking them up the hill. The ('scuse me) boobs with the IRC tires would sit in one spot and literally SMOKE their tires...NO clay getting chucked anywhere. And that was a GOOD day, cuz it hadn't rained in a few days and the guys that did make it up chunked up the clay to allow at least SOME traction.

Yesterday followed a couple days of heavy rain. The loosened clay was gone..it was slick again. Until yesterday I was 8 of 12 getting up this thing. Certainly it is a first gear hill. I tried second and that didn't get me moving after the air time over the root I mentioned. With the DFIII? Up in second gear!!!

The better pull down low gets the front end in the air much easier in a higher gear and lower revs.

Power is smooth and much stonger down low...more traction, less spin.

This is a big deal! The most significant improvement since...well, I don't know when. Maybe ever! Certainly better than the radvalve-to-DFII change...and that was a big deal, too!!

Keep in mind my bike is not quite stock. Most of the setup is listed in the 'greeting' forum (or whatever 'ya wanna call it).

Anyone that tries it that is of the opinion, 'I can't tell the difference...', I don't want to hear it. Either your bike is a pig for some other reason or you can't tell apples from horse manure (which is sometimes called horse apples, 'eh? ;) )

That wasn't nice, huh? Good thing I'm not worried about it!! ;)
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:49 pm Nov 08 2004, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

[quote="canyncarvr"]Jason!!! I was just yanking your chain to see if you would let me yank it!!

"CUT IT OUT!!! ;) "

My bad. I didn't catch it. :-)

Thanks for all the information, especially the ride report. I know you have tried many different go fast parts on your bike, so I value and appreciate your evaluation.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC.... tell us how you REALLY feel about it! :wink:

Can I use it next? can I, can I? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr, since you now know how piss-poorly designed a product the DFII really is, I will allow you to rip me off by selling it to me for the price of $10 shipped. :P
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's, well.... ok..... ;)

You bet you can! There's one with your name on it sitting on MT's (that's MotoTassinari's) shelf I'm sure!!!

I ordered mine a month or so ago. They weren't available at the time.

Hey! Maybe I got the only one!!

I called Jeff (MT tech support) to tell him what I thought of it. I'd talked to him earlier about the reed composition and such, so thought I'd 'share' my point of view.

First report he'd gotten for the kdx.

I took some pics of the DFII and DFIII that show the differences. They (pics) go somehwere around here......I 'spose....

Oh...the fit is perfect. No filing or goobering with the thing. The air forming insert mates with the carb boot perfectly!

Besides, it's even purty!! THIS time they put their logo where you can SEE it (the DFII logo was on the bottom).
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I want your old DF model two for $10 shipped. :-)

Did you have to do some filing on the DFII to get it to fit properly? I told you I didn't pay much attention. :-)

I was wondering why they put the name on the bottom. That never made sense.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not only filing.... drilling! One hole is outta wack on them.... I think it was a quicky that works!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I had no problems with My DFII..and I had two of 'em.

MT knew about a jig problem that made the holes wonky.

But, mine fit fine.

It must be the charmed life I lead.

...Believe me...that's a joke!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Why did you have two DFII's?

How many have you heard of that didn't fit well?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine sucked so bad its still sitting on the shelf out in my shop!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS