Needles vs Jets

Got questions? We got answers....
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Needles vs Jets

Post by firsthere »

If it were the same for the 200 I would go for it, it may not though being different carbs, same goal though.
If anyone has done the CEL please post up.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Needles vs Jets

Post by John_S »

The 200 and 220 needles are very similar. They are something like the Keihin BEP and BEQ or somewhere around there. That is an unusual needle based on what other 2 strokes have come with over the years. I think plenty of people have gone to the CEL over stock 200 or 220 needle and been happy with it. I ran the CEL on a 220 with a 33mm and 35mm carb and it was better all around than the stock needle. Mine was best on clip 2. For the low cost of the needle I say give it a shot, start on clip 3 and go from there. You have to be willing to start the jetting process over with the pilot and main jets but its worth it.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Needles vs Jets

Post by firsthere »

Got a good assortment of jets (within range) so guess I'll give it a try.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

The CEL is an awesome needle! Im amazed at the difference.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
Roostmaster1

Post by Roostmaster1 »

The 200 I just bought has a similar issue. It runs out strong after warmup but when putting around just barely cracking the throttle, it has a hesitation/bog. The guy I bout it from rebuilt the carb with factory jet kit and put it back stock except with a slightly leaner main. I’m wondering if he got the needle height right and if I go down a notch on the clip will that fix the issue? I did notice a slight exhaust leak on the FMF header. I’m wondering if that seal is causing this big-off-isle issue. He told me that he read on the internet somewhere that to get these bikes to run correctly the top of the air box should b removed and he did so. Could that b the issue. I don’t have any issues with how the bike runs except right off of idle. Barely cracking the throttle creates this hesitation but other than that it runs out fine. He also said that he has had trouble getting FMF pipes to fit and seal properly. Suggestions???
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Roostmaster1:

Sounds like you need to check your pilot size first. Stock kit size is often 3-4 sizes too rich. Im def no expert but since I went down to a 40 I have been able to jet my bike spot on.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
Roostmaster1

Post by Roostmaster1 »

So y think 40 pilot will clean that up?
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Mines a 38 (KDX200) 2 out with the CEL needle 2nd from top 4000' elev. This cleaned up the bottom though still have a mid/top flat spot. I'm thinking the 155 needs to go down to 152 to clear it up.
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

firsthere wrote: 09:10 am Aug 19 2019 Mines a 38 (KDX200) 2 out with the CEL needle 2nd from top 4000' elev. This cleaned up the bottom though still have a mid/top flat spot. I'm thinking the 155 needs to go down to 152 to clear it up.
The 152 will fix that up.

Roostmaster1 wrote: 12:49 pm Aug 18 2019 So y think 40 pilot will clean that up?
Everyones situation is different. I dont think most guys are running the stock size pilot. Read the jetting guide and it will tell you how to proceed.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If the level and all other mechanical stuff is correct, then make one change at a time and perhaps one step on jetting at a time.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

Yes. I would also fix that exhaust leak before you jet. Extra air will get sucked in and throw off your mixture. Pipes can get bent in a hard hit, and won't fit squarely in the engine. They can be bent back with some work, or you can use some high temp silicone for a more "crash-proof" seal. Or sometimes it's just a matter of new o-rings and crush washer.
For what it's worth, my past 200's ran well on 45 when mostly stock, but that's at fairly low elevation with comfortable temps. If using a Cel or Del, then yes, explore the smaller pilots.
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Roostmaster1 wrote: 08:44 am Aug 18 2019 The 200 I just bought has a similar issue. It runs out strong after warmup but when putting around just barely cracking the throttle, it has a hesitation/bog. The guy I bout it from rebuilt the carb with factory jet kit and put it back stock except with a slightly leaner main. I’m wondering if he got the needle height right and if I go down a notch on the clip will that fix the issue? I did notice a slight exhaust leak on the FMF header. I’m wondering if that seal is causing this big-off-isle issue. He told me that he read on the internet somewhere that to get these bikes to run correctly the top of the air box should b removed and he did so. Could that b the issue. I don’t have any issues with how the bike runs except right off of idle. Barely cracking the throttle creates this hesitation but other than that it runs out fine. He also said that he has had trouble getting FMF pipes to fit and seal properly. Suggestions???
Airbox lid removed could definitely be an issue at idle, I have mine taped up to a 2x2 inch hole. Airbox lid removed is a controversial topic, I'm in the don't remove it corner

To add another variable to the needle topic, none of the needle recommendations are relevant if the needle jet on the carb is worn. You might have to rejet completely differently
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

kdxdazz wrote: 12:00 am Aug 20 2019
Airbox lid removed could definitely be an issue at idle, I have mine taped up to a 2x2 inch hole. Airbox lid removed is a controversial topic, I'm in the don't remove it corner
I seem to remember this being the "word" back when modding & jetting the old 89/90 KDX's.