KDX Restoration X 2

Got questions? We got answers....
javjacob

Re: KDX Restoration X 2

Post by javjacob »

Very nice builds! What rear fender is that? I like the MX look but it still has the light which is nice.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

That's a Maier MX rear fender with a DRC Phantom taillight.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Since this thread came alive again, here's an update on the bikes.

I finally got the 220 tuned just the way I like it after 40 hours. I jetted it with a 38 pilot, DEK-3 needle, and a 148 main running 50:1. It might seem a little lean, but I think that might be due to putting the airbox lid and snorkel back on. I ride strictly single-track and wanted the best bottom end response.

I also advanced the timing clockwise to the furthest mark and removed one of the washers from the KIPS detent bolt. Again, all in the search for the most bottom end. Edit: I put the timing back to the mid mark. Advancing it gave me a bit more bottom end but killed the top end.

It works and I'm quite happy. I just put a new Shinko 505 cheater on the rear and am really happy with that too. Otherwise, no problems with either bike.

The 200 only has 20 hours on it. My son is a senior in high school this year and seems to have a lot of other distractions that keeps him from riding with Dad all the time. It goes with the age I guess.

That bike is still jetted a bit rich. I'll have to take it out myself one of these times to run through the jetting guide. It'll be interesting to see how that bike does hauling my fat ass around when it's sprung for 140 lbs!
Last edited by ericr on 04:06 am Aug 25 2019, edited 3 times in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on all the tuning paying off for you!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Awesome update. What does taking a washer out of the detent bolt do?
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

Vossman wrote: 07:50 pm May 08 2019 Awesome update. What does taking a washer out of the detent bolt do?
It increases the tension on the spring and ball against the kips shaft. This delays the actuation of the kips valve opening to a higher rpm. It helps me when scrambling around roots and rocks to not suddenly "hit the pipe."
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

That makes sense. I didn’t know that was a thing but sounds like an easy mod. Thanks
EVG

Post by EVG »

Digging up this old thread as it has given me motivation to do the same to my new to me 2000 220r! I have a couple questions, do you remember where you ordered the various graphics from, looks as if only the FX 16 graphics are available for the KDX’s now. Where did the number plate and swing arm graphics come from? And do you remember what skid plate you used? My plan is to source all the parts and tear it down in the off season!
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

EVG wrote: 09:03 am Jun 11 2020 Digging up this old thread as it has given me motivation to do the same to my new to me 2000 220r! I have a couple questions, do you remember where you ordered the various graphics from, looks as if only the FX 16 graphics are available for the KDX’s now. Where did the number plate and swing arm graphics come from? And do you remember what skid plate you used? My plan is to source all the parts and tear it down in the off season!
The graphics all came from ebay except the number plate which is Attach Graphics from Rocky Mountain. The skid plate is by Moose. Have fun with your project!
Slowrollin

Post by Slowrollin »

Amazing bikes!

Hoping my '95 project comes out half as nice.

Cheers-Charlie