Need Info on the Slide Needle.

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oil on the back of the shirt can come from oil flying out of the silencer. Back in my younger years, I ran at an accidental 64:1 for a little while on my KDX80. BOY!! It spray painted everything, even my friends forearms riding behind me.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: Spooge on shirt...

I recall it...every time I ride!! :sad:

It's called, 'Ported 'fer Poopin'!!'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Oh, it's definitley from the silencer. It looks like someone sprinkled pepper all over my back. It's definitley spooge. I know you can't eliminate every little thing, I mean it is a dirty hobby. But this stuff will not wash out and besides, it looks bad. :wah: I guess thats some of the traits of a 2-stroke, gettong spooged.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Jon, you need to adjust your jetting. canyncarvr believes his spooge problem is related to his cylinder's porting changes. Since lots of other people on here have a regular 220 cylinder like you and don't complain of the "Pepper Jack Back", then that means you can get yours like theirs. canyncarvr has tried about a hunnert dollers wurtha brass I reckin in trying to jet his properly. If you had tried many variations and were still getting it, it would be different. Jets are cheaper than jerseys, so GET BUSY. :grin: Besides, where else can you get a power modification as cost effective as the correct size $5 jet?? :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well..you can eliminate drips and goo from your bike. Not mine (well, I haven't been able to).... but yours? You bet!

Well, probably. :wink:

Before my cylinder was ported and replated, my S/A tip was as clean as a whistle 99% of the time. After a ride there would be carbon on the tip..but it was dry..almost powder dry if it had been a throttle-sort'a day. After a year of riding, the packing in the S/A was dry as a bone.

My bike's a 200...but Ski's 220 is clean, too, so both KDXs can do it.

I did find the PC S/A tip would spray carbon in a wider pattern than my FmF TCII did. I suppose that's why PC changed their tip style.

I'm sure there are examples of a properly jetted bike that will still spit from time to time. If you happen to warm up your bike with the choke on, then wick-it open to 'clean it out', there is almost for sure going to be some fluid sitting in the crankcase that's going to come out the tip. That problem could be resolved by a change of start/warm-up method.

Don't give up on it, Jon. The spoo is not a necessary trait of a 2-stroke.

Which brings me back to needles. You may well find that a needle change will have an effect on the spoo. It did on my bike. A needle with a later taper start (like a 'D' slope) even with a smaller straight diameter (like an 'L' or 'K') is the choice of a a number of riders..like me! :wink:

I've used only a modified slide with all my 'D' needle 'spearmints, but the unmodified 5mm slide has been reported to work well with the 'L' diameter. Do some checking for your own particulars.

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"Confuse - us" say... Let him learn how to jet a stock carb before trying to get fancy. He has got enough to worry about already. :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

As long as he's changin' stuff....... :wink:

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah, you're right, grab the grinder, mod the slide, send it off to RB, bolt on a DFIII, switch filters, switch brands of filter oil, port the SNOT out of it, have the head modified, run a different plug, throw in an FRP torque ring, PowerNow, Boyesen SuperBowl, reed spacer, buy a bag of different taper, thickness and length needles, etc., etc. That will help him solve his currect problem. :wink:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine spit like a sailor before the rebuild and rejet. Both were done at the same time but I know it was the jetting that made the difference. It is very, very rare that you will get a bike that is jetted right, New or Used.

GET THE BRASS! :blink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Jetting cures 98% of most spooge problems and new reed pedals cure another 1.9% then ones like CC's make up the remaining .1%.

I have two jerseys the one which is my favorite due to its color and the fact that it breathes is covered with spooge spit. Washed in everything under the sun and the spooge is definately bonded into the jersey material. Bothered me originally but then what the heck!! Jetting my bikes, the kid's bikes, friend's bikes so of like what Forest Gump said - Spooge (****) Happens. I also warm the bikes up for 3-4 minutes and do get some engine loading that normally I clean out within the first 50-75 yards.

I know that bikes can be jetted real clean and totally eliminate all spooge drippings from the silencer, but once I jet that close, I always seem to bump up the needle at least 1/2 clip and turn in the AS 1/4 turn for throttle response. When jetted very very crisp I have more trouble in rocks and roots and on longer steep climbs; so to get the most torque out of the engine at lower rpms it always has seemed to me to need to be slightly rich. I'm old and slow though, so maybe it is just my way of coping.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've discovered that once you have a bike, well, mine anyway, jetted proper and there's not much spooge; something changes. Sometimes it's the weather, the altitude you're riding that day, the terrain, the gas from the station, etc. But whatever, you WILL find that a non-spooging bike will spooge spontainiously on occasion. I recently rode at 9,000 ft and jetted down from a 145 main to a 140 main. The bike puked spooge. It's all over my swingarm, brake caliper, etc. Next ride at my normal spot and it's clean again. It must be a pretty touchy thing to keep it just on that bubble. Personnally, I take a shop towel with me and wipe the chin off my SA a couple times during a ride to ensure my pretty riding clothes don't get spoogy.

On that subject, clean riding gear, I rode a very technical and difficult area recently. The type of area that makes you cuss and swear. Steep cliffs, vertical granite faces 20 foot tall, logs 3 foot or more in diameter type stuff. I met up with a guy on a KDX in the staging area and our riding groups formed one in the hopes more hands tossing bikes over things and back up onto the trail would make for an easier day. This KDX rider was fat, at least 280 fat and no muscle tone at all. His riding gear looked like a homeless man got tired of them and threw them away before he put them on his own body. This guy was the most awesome rider I've ever seen. He did things with a motorcycle I never knew were possible. I've seen trick trials riders do some of this stuff, but they were special bikes. He could come up to a 3 foot log, loft the front wheel up on it, do a stoppie-lifting the rear wheel up and onto the log, then ride down the log several feet, hopping off with both tires at the same time.
The point is; clean clothes don't make a hill o beans in riding. Your bike certainly doesn't care!! Just thought I share the tale. BTW, his name was Charley but I don't suppose it's anyone here. The riding area is named Rag Dump. Anyone wanting to come out here to California to ride RagDump can find someone else to take them. I'll never go back in this lifetime. That sort of punishment isn't fun.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!