Needed Mods For Hare Scrambles.????

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Needed Mods For Hare Scrambles.????

Post by jafo »

I currently have a '84 KDX 200 that I plan on trying out in Some Hare Scrambles this next year. I've not done to much to the bike just alot of regular maintenance items. I did replace the swing arm from the stock to one off a '87 KDX bike. I've swapped the stock reeds in favor of some Boyesen reeds. I need to rebuild the mono shock yet, and it has a new chain, the forks have been gone through also. What else should I look at?

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would suggest some aluminum handguards. If there are going to be a bunch of rocks, you might want to look into an aluminum chain guide guard (for the guide in front of the rear sprocket). http://www.frpoffroad.com

Just for the record, a front disc brake conversion would also help out, as normally front brakes are more important than the rear.

The main thing is for YOU to get in shape. That has been my biggest problem so far in my glorious one enduro and one hare scramble career. :-)
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Make sure the bike is geared correctly. If you run a 12 tooth CS sprocket for single track woods riding, you might want to bump up to a 13 or 14 tooth for fast scrambles riding. I also have one of these on my helmet. It helps me keep from being suprised when being passed:
http://www.bugeyes.com/
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I here you guys. I'll check the sprocket on my bike.

I know what your saying about being in shape! The first few times I've been out, it told me just how out of shape I was. The first time out was the worst. That due to me killing the bike on steep hill climbs. Kickstarting a bike while it's trying to pull you back down the hill is not fun if you do it 100 times in one day! That was what killed me so bad the first time out. Second time out was just joint pain mostly. I can handle that though. I have brush guards on the handlebars now, they've saved me a few times at the top of hills. You can't always see whats waiting on you over the top. I hit a few large sapplings that would have broke my hand probably.

Jon.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

skipro3 wrote: I also have one of these on my helmet. It helps me keep from being suprised when being passed:
http://www.bugeyes.com/
Those are kinda neat, kinda.....:roll:

Might last a couple miles riding with 'carvr! :mrgreen:
but eventually it would be torn off and donated to the mountain
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I can understand why you wouldn't need them Wibby, no one's ever behind you :lol:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hey hey hey! :evil:

They'd be neat for the street, but sure would not last long on Johns Peak
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I say they will. wanna bet? Looser buys first round. :partyman:
Jerry

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ok guys, lets simmer alittle here. I don't plan on using them mainly because when racing, I don't plan on worring about whats behind me, especially in the woods. I know I'd get passed but I just don't have that mind set. I'm very competetive, and have a short fuse. If they want around me they have to get around me, I'm not getting out of the way for sure! I'm not bad on the technical stuff and I'm pretty good at the winding trails, but it's the straight aways I'm going to get beat on just because of shear speed. It's and old bike and I'm sure there will be some very heavily modified bikes out there that will eat my lunch. Those bug eyes are a pretty good idea, but I'm just to perenoid about the tree thats infront of me and not the guy trying to pass me.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Keep in mind jafo, that hare scrambles run several classes of riders at the same time. The way to tell if someone is competing with you is by the background color of the number plate. All three plates must have the correct color of the rider's class and the assigned number as well. Being able to tell if the guy trying to pass is even competing with you helps. A rider in a class not yours who wants to pass can be allowed with just a wave of the hand to the side you want him to pass on as you move off the other side of the trail. Otherwise you could be "bumped". The little mirror from bugeyes is a great way to determine just who might be wanting to pass you and if you want to let them or not.
P.S. Wib knows I was just kidding, right Wibby?
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

:mad: :evil::twisted:

Maybe I need to rephrase that
"but sure would not last long on Johns Peak on my helmet!" :partyman:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I read yah guys.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Doug would agree with you Wib. He had to throw his helmet away after one day on Johns Peak! Ask CC about it if he hasn't already told you. Have you ever seen anyone need to duct tape their helmet together? Doug needed to. And that was only in the first 20 minutes of riding!!!
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OUCH !!! :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."