What's the Difference Between Assembly Lube and Anti-Seize?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

What's the Difference Between Assembly Lube and Anti-Seize?

Post by KDXGarage »

Does anyone know the differences between assemby lube and anti-seize? I have a little $.89 tube of anti-seize from an auto parts store, and I have used it on some fasteners. I have never used or seen assembly lube.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Assembly lube (any I've seen) is grease with a high molybdenum content. It oxidizes at high temps:

http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/42.html

Probably any grease would be good as an assembly lube..on rod bearings for example...to protect against initial startup before the engine is up to temp and the oil pump (4-stroke engines) gets up to snuff.

..although, you should have primed the pump and the oil galleys before you ever hit the switch.

Use lots of it on any engine assy..bearings, rocker arms, rocker tips, rocker hardware etc. Change the oil after the initial run (a few minutes probably).

That's mostly applicable to bigger 4-strokes...V8s and stuff.

Anti seize is formulated for hi-temp applications (1200º+). It specifically states on the blister pack that is is used to prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals..like spark plugs in aluminum heads.

There are a lot of 'dissimilar' metal situations in bikes beside the spark plug. ...brake pins, caliper fasteners and the like.

And...anti-seize is quite a lot more of a mess. It gets everywhere!

Which actually is a good indication of it's relative uses. Assembly lube wipes right off...not anti-seize! Well...not Permatex brand anyway.

Which is what I use.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the info!

So assembly lube would just be for bottom end rebuilding?

Would you suggest anti-seize for any metal bolt into an aluminum thread situation? I put some on my lower and upper triple clamp bolts, as they thread into the aluminum clamps, plus the front brake pins, caliper bolts and the plastic guards which mount into the aluminum "axle holding part" at the bottom of the USD forks.