1989-2006 KDX E-start!

Got questions? We got answers....
GOT WOODS?

Re: 1989-2006 KDX E-start!

Post by GOT WOODS? »

SS109, are you any closer to having your prototype done? I just know that in the spring I have to make the decision to either get a new bike with e-start or buy one of the Panthera units, or yours.....
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I apologize but, no, I haven't. Winter is prime riding season here in AZ so I've been riding a lot, I'm doing new rider training classes, club functions, plus that horrible stuff called work to pay the bills so haven't had a lot of free time to work on it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Got Woods?,
Exciting! Looking forward to hands-on info you may share. Panthera's tool required list includes a 3/4 inch drill bit. Very curious what you'll do with that.
billie
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Oh, I'm also curious to know if you notice the starter weight when riding and if the starter interferes with foot or lower leg placement.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Hi, guys. Follow up on the Panthera estart kit I ordered in April last year. It still was not delivered by January. Unfortunately in the meantime I’ve developed a medical condition the completely exempts me from riding. Since they had not delivered the kit and I can’t ride, I cancelled my order for a full refund. If I keep the bike, doubtful, and can ever ride again , also doubtful, maybe I’ll reorder a kit.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Doakley, Sorry to hear that. Hope the miraculous happens and you can get back on the bike.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Damn, I am really sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for you. BTW, I haven't forgotten about our deal.
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Doakley, I’m hoping for a positive outcome and wishing you the best. You’ve always been such positive contributor and i liked reading about your adventures with racing. I really hope you can throw a leg over your beloved KDX again.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Best wishes doakley, I hope you can make some positive progress and return to a somewhat normal lifestyle.
Best of luck to you and your family.

Sincerely,

-your KDX family
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Very sorry to hear that doakley, wishing you the best!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
billie_morini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by billie_morini »

Gee Whiz, Doakley. I am so sorry for your sake. I sympathize deeply and wish you the best going forward
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

Doakley -All though you sold your KDX - hope you're hanging in there and finding other ways to get after it, and still following the goings on here!

As for the KDX Stater - I've taken some measurements, bought some parts to check fit, and had more looks. My plan to use a "bendix" style system instead of a "wet sprag clutch" just won't fly. There's not enough room (hence why Panterra uses a sprag system I guess) As well I had hoped there would be enough room under the carb to slide the starter in to be parallel to the crank axis....... which would simplify things greatly. Not near enough room (unless someone knows of a really powerful small diameter starter!)......... so I guess there's a reason that these starter kits are built as they are! I've not given up, but I'm debating whether I should keep trying to reinvent the wheel.......
Go Riders!
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

That being said, I did see another really slick design that I liked better than the Panthera system. (see link below) Another Canadian company funny enough but out west instead of out east. I plan on contacting them, see if they'd be interested is selling the gear set for this system, and then I could potentially just "package" it.............. If anything progresses I'll definitely update! But that's it for now.......

Go Riders!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have been slowly moving forward with the e-start project but between work, being sick, and getting some riding in, I haven't gotten nearly as far as I would like. I've almost got the sprag mount/adapter done so I should hopefully have a mock up before too long.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Kawibunga
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Kawibunga »

Great to hear SS109! Looking forward to seeing it how you're making out.
Go Riders!
Bultacobill

Post by Bultacobill »

I hope something is ready soon. I’m getting older and kickstarting won’t be in my future. So far E start on the KDX won’t be either. If Kawasaki would just hear us! All we need is a 2024 KDX 220 E start. No other redesign or retooling needed.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Bultacobill wrote: 08:39 pm Mar 25 2024 I hope something is ready soon. I’m getting older and kickstarting won’t be in my future. So far E start on the KDX won’t be either. If Kawasaki would just hear us! All we need is a 2024 KDX 220 E start. No other redesign or retooling needed.

I wish... really they wouldn't release a complete bike based on tooling from 1995, but if they would just build a KDX220 again using the H-series engines with some cleaned up porting (keeping port timing the same), and in a woods valved version of the KX250F chassis altered just for the KDX engine, with a pipe like the Pro Circuit Platinum 2, and the only alteration to the engine being the head squish tightened up, and a piston like the should have designed in 1997 similar to the 200 piston, we'd have one heck of a winner here... Add a Panthera style e-start to the 220 engine and it'd be a BIG hit with the modern suspension and slimmer shrouds thin seat type chassis design with an 18" rear wheel of course. Not much to ask, is it? But instead they've spent a few years tinkering with a completely fresh engine design 300 counterbalanced Euro 5 emissions compliant 2-stroke that's going to be basically exactly as I described except with a new design 300cc engine. Now if they'd just ever release the thing!?!

If they actually did release what I like to refer to optimistically as the KDX300R (or KX300X if they miss the mark on the lineage), That might be the only thing that could sway me to buy a 300... unless someone came out with a 300 in a more compact chassis... for me a 250 can be that, but really I'm so hung up on the 220 engines with modded head, pipe and jetting (or Lectron) upgrades, with extensive suspension upgrades (RM125), that I doubt I'll ever want to ride anything else. A Beta 200RR Race Edition is the only other bike that REALLY does it for me, but I am incredibly curious about how luggable a YZ125X could be, especially with an Apex XC-dome head or a modified stock head, and perhaps a 134cc overbore... that's the absolute lightest full size woods bike on the market, really pretty much ever. The 2004-2007 KTM 200's were a really great compact chassis and engine as well, but I'd take the Beta 200RR Race Edition any day over the KTM 200, although the KTM isn't far behind my KDX220 and Beta 200RR Race likings...

BiltacoBill - in another post, another veteran rider was talking about how you practically just have to sneeze at the YZ125X kickstarter and it will fire right up... might be perhaps worth looking into those bikes a bit? I'm certainly quite curious about them... Best suspension on the market with the KYB S.S.S. woods valved forks, and the X model has the 18" enduro rear wheel and enduro focused cylinder porting, flywheel, and I believe a different gearset for woods ratios in the 6 speed. Just no e-start or no lighting coil stock, although both are available aftermarket from multiple manufacturers. At least I believe so on the e-start, it's available for the YZ250, perhaps not for the YZ125 if the cases are any different, considering how easy they are to start reportedly.
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

Anybody out there get the Panthera kit for the KDX yet? It looks like they are shipping them now and I was getting ready to put in an order for one and found this YouTube video of an install of one on a Yamaha:

The guy did not have a good experience and he felt the owner was less than responsive. Also looking through the comments section it looks like a lot of other buyers have not had a good experience with their Panthera. This sucks as I really love my KDX but due to a knee issue I need to have an e-start bike. Anyone out there have some positive vibes with this company? Like they have heard that they've solved their issues and the new e-starts they are selling are bulletproof? Not looking to purchase a $1K paperweight, if you get my drift....
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

GOT WOODS? wrote: 03:38 pm Mar 27 2024 Anybody out there get the Panthera kit for the KDX yet? It looks like they are shipping them now and I was getting ready to put in an order for one and found this YouTube video of an install of one on a Yamaha:

The guy did not have a good experience and he felt the owner was less than responsive. Also looking through the comments section it looks like a lot of other buyers have not had a good experience with their Panthera. This sucks as I really love my KDX but due to a knee issue I need to have an e-start bike. Anyone out there have some positive vibes with this company? Like they have heard that they've solved their issues and the new e-starts they are selling are bulletproof? Not looking to purchase a $1K paperweight, if you get my drift....
Yeah, I know Morgan (the guy in the video) and if he says it sucks, well, it sucks. Dude knows his stuff. I am working on my setup which I bet will be more trouble free than those much nicer looking, but way more complicated, and more expensive, systems like the Panthera kit.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Well I would say that if they have resolved a lot of issues with their older e-start kits, and have the KDX kit to production, that it should be at least a fair bit better than what this review states for the YZ kits... There is another company that makes a nearly identical looking YZ250 electric start kit. I can't remember their name but I saw ads on FB for them. I doubt another company would make the same KDX kit, but who knows?

It seems as if Sebastian / Panthera have a lot of feedback now to improve upon, so hopefully that was all reflected in the design of the new KDX kit. Also, the KDX is a completely different platform, and may have zero of these design problems other than perhaps the starter motor itself which now apparently has been upgraded to a newer model or a better model I'm assuming in all of their kits.

I wouldn't let this deter you, and I would certainly be curious if I needed a start, curious enough to buy one of their kits unless SS109's comes out soon.

I'm personally completely fine with Kickstart only. Electric start will add more weight, and I'm trying to shed weight off of my next 220 build! Maybe in another 20 years or so when I'm turning 66, I might need an e-start bike, IF we can even still buy gasoline at that point!
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup