My Top 5 Mods for the KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

My Top 5 Mods for the KDX

Post by SS109 »

I had thought of doing my own list on what I consider the top 5 mods for the KDX are for some time so I finally did it. I'm sure some of you have seen it already but I made a video on it and thought I would share it here. Do you agree? Think I'm wrong? Let me know what mods you think rate higher!

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: My Top 5 Mods for the KDX

Post by bufftester »

Mostly agree with the mods, I would order them a little differently and add a couple that would be most beneficial for the riding we do out here in the Pacific North West.
  • 1. Suspension - Front and rear springs/valves, or a rear spring/front fork swap. Suspension is the most bang for your buck when starting out, will make the most dramatic impact to your riding, and aid in your progression.

2. Aftermarket Pipe - Really helps the bike breathe and uncorks some potential in both the 200 and 220. You could do a silencer as well, but the stock one is quite quiet and easy to service, and a spark arrestor which is a must in our part of the country (although it is also quite heavy)

3. Skid Plate - Simple protection that can literally save your engine. Still amazes me that all the bike companies turn out off-road bikes without basic off-road protection smh

4. Bark Busters - Wrap around hand guards are a must in the tight woods. Unless you really like broken fingers :grin:

5. This one is a toss up for me. Either head mods, or carb mods. If your carb is working great, then go head mod. If your carb is finicky and hard to adjust then the carb mod.
After that there are a bunch of little things, clutch actuator, tires, pegs, steering stabilizer, kick starter, stator rewind, lighting...etc. All of which are covered on this site in detail.

Love the vids!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

See, that's what I want to hear!

Yes, suspension is number one. I guess my vid was a bit misleading in that I numbered them but it really wasn't done with any thought to order. Just my top 5.

I forgot all about the pipe it's been so long since I rode with one. Doh! Huge difference in power over the OEM pipe.

The skid plate and bark busters are more great mods but I consider those a mod for any bike and not just the KDX hence why I didn't include them. Of course, some would say the same about suspension but the KDX is one that benefits from a suspension swap more than any off enduro made since probably the mid 90's!
'11 GasGas EC250R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Sorry, all of those mods place second to… Limited Edition Purple Renthal handlebars!!!
93B2273C-1660-423D-82C8-81FA6FF46F6A.jpeg
93B2273C-1660-423D-82C8-81FA6FF46F6A.jpeg (737.53 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

MoonStomper wrote: 05:39 pm May 21 2022 Sorry, all of those mods place second to… Limited Edition Purple Renthal handlebars!!!
I scored me some for my KX125 retro build. They aren’t available in Canada so I had to ship them to the states and fly down and pick them up! I found a guy on Etsy who makes the bar pads with the classic Renthal font!
2AE1F346-B751-4EEB-94F9-402882E488CE.jpeg
2AE1F346-B751-4EEB-94F9-402882E488CE.jpeg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 2182 times
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MoonStomper wrote: 05:39 pm May 21 2022 Sorry, all of those mods place second to… Limited Edition Purple Renthal handlebars!!!

Now if only the frame matched the bars! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ha ha! Purple bars, really?
I modded my '99 220 specifically for enduros and hare scrambles. Here's my top mods:
1. Suspension, I have KX 250 forks with gold valves, sprung and set up by a local pro suspension tuner. My shock is the stock KDX but modded by Jeff Fredette, again for my weight and old man speed (or lack thereof), Best bang for the buck by far.

2. FMF pipe and silencer/spark arrestor ('nuff said!)

3. Ron Black carb mod and head mod (WOW! really woke up this bike!)

4. Auto clutch and left hand rear brake. I tried a Magura hydraulic clutch and it was good, but at my age, nothing helped ME as much as the auto-clutch. Combined with the LH rear brake it makes the tight and technical stuff much better for me. I don't even have a foot brake any more. Put a longer brake line on the Magura clutch master cylinder and ran it directly to the rear brake. Works perfectly and I have a lot more rear brake control now.

5. Flexx bars. If I have to compete with Moon Stomper's purple bars I'll say the Flexx bars have really helped me deal with the vibration and broken shoulders. Expensive for what you get, but IMO, worth it to me.

Other mods were more in the category of personal preference, foot pegs, grips, bark busters, radiator guards, skid plate, fenders etc. than things that made me faster or safer (both of which are misused words given my slow speed and crash history). I also really like the new taller, firmer seat and custom gripper cover. Don't think it made me any faster but I'm 6'1" and it makes the bike fit better.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

By the time I realized they were available, they were already sold out! That would have been perfect for my 97 220. Maybe they'll come back for another round since they seemed to be so popular. Great bike by the way!

Suspension, carb tuning, controls (pegs, grips, bars) and tires top the list for me. Number 5 is an unknown at this point.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Slick_Nick wrote: 07:04 pm May 21 2022
I scored me some for my KX125 retro build. They aren’t available in Canada so I had to ship them to the states and fly down and pick them up! I found a guy on Etsy who makes the bar pads with the classic Renthal font!

2AE1F346-B751-4EEB-94F9-402882E488CE.jpeg
Those are sweet!!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Love that RETRO Renthal bar pad!!!

So I’m planning to order the Devol radiator guards since I’m very happy with the skid plate/h2o pump guard/rear disc guard they did. Think I’ll do a purple ano job on the rad guards when I get them. Any anodizing advice? Looks pretty straightforward from what I have read.

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MoonStomper wrote: 07:45 pm Jun 10 2022 Any anodizing advice? Looks pretty straightforward from what I have read.
Slick_Nick has done some of that and his work looks amazing.

Hey, Nick, where ya at? :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

No input on the anodizing, but I have those guards on my bike and they are great. Good idea given where you race!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

MoonStomper wrote: 07:45 pm Jun 10 2022 Love that RETRO Renthal bar pad!!!

So I’m planning to order the Devol radiator guards since I’m very happy with the skid plate/h2o pump guard/rear disc guard they did. Think I’ll do a purple ano job on the rad guards when I get them. Any anodizing advice? Looks pretty straightforward from what I have read.
Yeah I've done lots of anodizing. I have a pretty nice purple too! Rad guards would look great in that color!
'00 KDX 220R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

It seems there are different levels of ano you can do with various levels of durability. Any advice on achieving a suitable finish toughness for a part like that?

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

MoonStomper wrote: 10:42 pm Jun 13 2022 It seems there are different levels of ano you can do with various levels of durability. Any advice on achieving a suitable finish toughness for a part like that?
Type 2 will be more than sufficient. Aluminum oxide is hard.
'00 KDX 220R
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Type 2 will be more than sufficient. Aluminum oxide is hard.
[/quote]

Aluminum oxide is not only hard, is also tenacious. It melts at around 3800 degrees, when the aluminum melts at around 1000 degrees. Can't weld through it worth a damn, so it's got to be removed.

I always thought it was weird to oxidize aluminum, to prevent more oxidation. But it works.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Sweet! Thanks for the info, any advice on a proper purple dye you’d recommend?

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Molly's 70 wrote: 03:00 pm Jun 14 2022 Type 2 will be more than sufficient. Aluminum oxide is hard.
Aluminum oxide is not only hard, is also tenacious. It melts at around 3800 degrees, when the aluminum melts at around 1000 degrees. Can't weld through it worth a damn, so it's got to be removed.

I always thought it was weird to oxidize aluminum, to prevent more oxidation. But it works.
[/quote]

That's exactly why you need to weld Aluminum on AC, so it can break up the oxide layer. Technically it CAN be done on DCEP (like MIG welding) but that's another story...
'00 KDX 220R
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Slick_Nick That's exactly why you need to weld Aluminum on AC, so it can break up the oxide layer. Technically it CAN be done on DCEP (like MIG welding) but that's another story...[/quote wrote:
AC with argon is preferred, as the shielding gas is ionized on the positive half cycle, then the ions will etch off the oxide on the negative half cycle. This is how a GTAW or Tig welder cleans aluminum.

Where I work, They clean aluminum in hydrochloric/hydrofluoric acid. This works really well getting rid of the oxide before we weld it.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.