New Higher output coil but light still dimming at lower RPMs?

Got questions? We got answers....
DenverKdxRider

New Higher output coil but light still dimming at lower RPMs?

Post by DenverKdxRider »

Hi Guys/Gals

I just bought a steahly 65w lighting coil and put it into the KDX. I wired in a 50 watt HID light to make a it a brighter. At low RPMs it's dimming and of course at higher RPMs it's nice and bright. There's definitely some fluctuations with the voltage. On the Steahly website they recommend that you purchase their voltage regular.

I would think that a 65 watt stator would be more than enough to power a HID bulb without it dimming at low RPM's. Is the new stator too much for the stock stator? Or is my bulb to much wattage? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Any idea?
GOT WOODS?

Re: New Higher output coil but light still dimming at lower RPMs?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

I did a simple LED replacement a couple of years ago and I have tons of light without having to do any stator work. Bulb wasn't very expensive. Could probably wire in a couple more with the low power they consume. But yeah, you probably need a voltage regulator with your setup.

Go here for more info:
viewtopic.php?t=23092#p198287
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Without a battery and good regulator set up you're going to see dimming at idle, that's just the way stators and 2Ts work. To eliminate it you would need to do the full reg/rectifier setup, float the ground and run a battery or high capacity cap. Even with Steahlys regulator its going to dim at low RPMs.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

If i remember correctly larger diameter wire used in the stator winding will yield greater output at higher RPM less at lower RPM vs smaller gauge wire which yields relatively lower volatage at high rpm but greater output at low rpm.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

After a little refresher coarse reading https://advrider.com/f/threads/stators- ... ed.189734/ It is the resistance due to wire size and number of windings that affect the voltage at idle. Higher output stators have more wire length and generally larger gauge wire to increase max output, consequently more resistance and lower off idle output. The Steahly stator is probably fine its just the KDX is designed with only one lighting winding. If there were another aftermarket design which included additional winding/magnet locations, that would increase the idle voltage. With only one winding all you can do is add length and wire size = more resistance.

So as Buffster said you would need a battery/rectifier setup to avoid dimming at idle. Although a rectifier saps alot of voltage in converting AC to DC which reduces overall output over AC. As a consequence, this may not allow the battery to fully charge when the lights are in use due to the lower output after the rectifier.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Correct. When you rewind the stock stator you can go to 18AWG magnet wire and get anywhere from 65-80W output depending on how many wraps you can get on the stock core. You end up with less wire, but of a larger gauge, so you will see the dimming at idle get a little worse actually (though it's likely not noticeable to the eye, just to a meter) but your output gets much better at high RPM. And as firsthere noted, with a 50W HID you likely will be running the light and slowly discharging the battery, would need to spend 20-30 minutes riding with no lights on to keep the battery topped off.