Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Got questions? We got answers....
User avatar
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
Posts: 3851
Joined: 05:11 am Aug 23 2009
Country: US
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by SS109 » 02:59 am Nov 10 2019

Good to hear you got the stator going. The Trailtech voltage regulators are pretty cheap.
AZ State Parks OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
'11 GasGas EC250 Race
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue

User avatar
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2481
Joined: 06:03 pm Oct 31 2012
Country: USA
Location: University Place, WA

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by bufftester » 04:28 pm Nov 11 2019

Good to hear, figured it was a short in there somewhere. While you're working on it make sure all your grounds are nice and clean and put some dielectric grease in all your connectors.

CarsonMcI
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 04:26 pm Jun 26 2019
Country: United States

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by CarsonMcI » 03:14 pm Nov 22 2019

Replaced voltage regulator. Still getting 6 volts at idle and over 20 when revved. Bad regulator still or could it be something else?

kdxsully
Member
Posts: 403
Joined: 08:28 am Apr 21 2019
Country: United States
Location: North Cackalack

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by kdxsully » 06:15 pm Nov 22 2019

CarsonMcI wrote:
03:14 pm Nov 22 2019
Replaced voltage regulator. Still getting 6 volts at idle and over 20 when revved. Bad regulator still or could it be something else?
Well if you replaced it with a new one, something else must be wrong. Maybe the wiring?
I like turtles

Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Posts: 19
Joined: 08:09 am Jul 14 2015
Country:

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by Pressingonward » 08:13 pm Nov 27 2019

Where are you measuring voltage at? If that's your coil AC voltage then you might have too few windings on the coil - more wraps will give you higher idle voltage but lower peak amperage. Fewer windings gives you less voltage at idle but higher peak amps.

If that's after the regulator then something's not wired right or your new regulator is bad (or both). Pictures might help us help you.

CarsonMcI
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 04:26 pm Jun 26 2019
Country: United States

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by CarsonMcI » 11:36 pm Nov 28 2019

Got the trailtech regulator wired up and it works now as far limiting the voltage but at idle it's at 6 volts and headlight is very dim. Is this normal? Thanks again for the all the replies guys

User avatar
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
Posts: 10154
Joined: 06:45 am Nov 01 2004
Country: United States of America
Location: AL, USA
Contact:

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by KDXGarage » 12:59 am Nov 29 2019

In stock form, the headlight is dim at idle. One has to rev it up to have it be brighter.
kdxrider.net forum member doakley participating in National Enduro series: (current class standing, 4th!)
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=23217&sid=e6a86d8 ... 9&start=40

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo: To post pictures here: "Full editor", "Attachments", "Add files", select the picture, "Open", "Place inline"

Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Posts: 19
Joined: 08:09 am Jul 14 2015
Country:

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by Pressingonward » 11:28 am Nov 29 2019

You probably don't have enough windings on your coil to get good voltage at idle. You can either live with it, add a battery (assuming you are running DC and not AC, and that your voltage at normal riding RPM is greater than 13 volts), or rewind your coil again with more wraps (you may need to switch to 18 AWG or 20 AWG).

Here is a most excellent thread on the subject: https://advrider.com/f/threads/stators ... ed.189734/

Most of the discussion is around modern stators with multiple poles, but the same concepts apply to the KDX single coils

CarsonMcI
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 04:26 pm Jun 26 2019
Country: United States

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by CarsonMcI » 06:04 pm Nov 29 2019

Pressingonward wrote:
11:28 am Nov 29 2019
You probably don't have enough windings on your coil to get good voltage at idle. You can either live with it, add a battery (assuming you are running DC and not AC, and that your voltage at normal riding RPM is greater than 13 volts), or rewind your coil again with more wraps (you may need to switch to 18 AWG or 20 AWG).

Here is a most excellent thread on the subject: https://advrider.com/f/threads/stators ... ed.189734/

Most of the discussion is around modern stators with multiple poles, but the same concepts apply to the KDX single coils
That actually made alot of sense. Thanks man!

Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Posts: 19
Joined: 08:09 am Jul 14 2015
Country:

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by Pressingonward » 08:33 pm Nov 29 2019

No problem, glad I could help. Keep us posted, I'm curious to see how many wraps are needed to get decent idle voltage. It's on my to-do list to rewind my coil once I get everything else on my bike sorted out.

CarsonMcI
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 04:26 pm Jun 26 2019
Country: United States

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by CarsonMcI » 01:11 pm Dec 02 2019

Pressingonward wrote:
08:33 pm Nov 29 2019
No problem, glad I could help. Keep us posted, I'm curious to see how many wraps are needed to get decent idle voltage. It's on my to-do list to rewind my coil once I get everything else on my bike sorted out.
Do you know the stock regulator wire gauge?

Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Posts: 19
Joined: 08:09 am Jul 14 2015
Country:

Re: Stator Rewind Low Voltage

Post by Pressingonward » 08:11 pm Dec 02 2019

I do not. I'll take a look when I'm in there again, but I would guess 22 awg

Post Reply