Differences in forks

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Differences in forks

Post by KDXGarage »

I have no clue what springs are stock OR what springs you have now, but the sag numbers are going to let us all know.

Those small springs are going to affect the rate. Look at the 3750 kit from Race Tech. It has those little springs.

I can't remember, but I think they make the rate softer.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

thanks kdxgarage thats exactly the springs i have in the spares that was given to me,i measured the thickness of those springs at 4mm which is lighter than anything else,i decided 4mm preload was too little,i ended up putting in 47mm spacers and those little springs and that gave me a total of 12mm of preload,thats with the 0.38kg front springs,i also set the oil level at 100mm.i backed off my rear shock to 115mm preload,i can't believe how much softer it feels and how much the ride height has dropped, now i can touch the ground with my feet.haven't checked sag numbers yet so need to get a friend around to check with me, haven't test rode it yet so hopefully i will this weekend,with the new suspension and settings and 8psi in the trials tires it should be super plush
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

took it for a ride today, even though there was an improvement in softness it still felt harsh and its cornering ability seems much worse
took the sag number
front static 50mm
front race 65mm
rear static 40mm
rear race 85mm

at least i know my numbers are way off so lots of room for improvement
tracking down lighter springs here in thailand is not easy and ordering from the U.S is dear as poison with postage
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you set the rear sag to 100 mm with you fully geared up and seated on the bike, then check the static sag? That is how one checks to see if the current spring is too soft, just right or too stiff.

I would assume you need a softer spring, so until you get that, it is not going to handle too well, as the bike is putting a lot of weight up front. (stinkbug stance)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, with those numbers you are oversprung so it's going to be harsh, and the front is really going to push when cornering hard. There are options for alternate front springs (Honda XR400 is one of the more popular), but not many options on the rear unfortunately. But rear springs are easier to match across different bikes since you can get to them easily and measure. May be able to find a rear spring off a 125 that would fit and be lighter, just a thought
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

success!! put in the 0.32kg front springs 23mm preload, 2.5w oil in 1 leg 5w in the other feels amazing,plush and hasn't bottomed once, rear still kicks me around but that will have to wait until i source a cheap spring
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

sorry to thread jack, but when you guys talk about swapping in KLX300 forks or similar, where are you finding these forks?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

all the usual places

eBay, craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

Please start a new thread. Several people will answer questions on the KLX forks. There have been a few people on here that have made the swap.

If you don't mind, please reply to this post so I can delete the unnecessary posts from this thread, while still answering your question. Thanks!