Hello from Tennessee!

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
assquatch20

Hello from Tennessee!

Post by assquatch20 »

Hey all. Had been wanting a KDX for a long time. Found a plated 2004 for sale back in the spring, but didn't have the money at the time. Turns out the owner wasn't trying too hard to sell. Came up with the money last month and asked a buddy that lives much closer to look at it and bring it home if it seemed good.

He's had it for a couple weeks now and will be bringing it up here tomorrow. I guess that kinda means I bought it sight unseen but it didn't really cost me much. Flipped an astro van for about $600 all in and got it.

Gonna putt around on it Saturday and see what I think. I know the suspension is gonna need work for me as I'm pretty heavy. Anyway here's what it looks like:
IMG_8031.jpg
IMG_8031.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
IMG_8030.jpg
IMG_8030.jpg (148.02 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
IMG_8029.jpg
IMG_8029.jpg (110.82 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
As you can see, it has a bigger tank and FMF exhaust, plus a Lectron carb. Looking forward to exploring back roads and trail hopping with it. I'll report back when I've got the bike.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hello from Tennessee!

Post by SS109 »

Welcome to the community! Looks like you got a good score. Keep us posted and feel free to ask questions.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Very nice buy, congratulations!
RaceTech Gold Valves and springs will do wonders for you on a suspension rebuild with new oil, seals, and bushings 👍
The shock is set up for a 165-200lb rider, but the forks are set up for a 135lb rider, interesting mismatch intended to make the bike turn in sharper on braking into tight turns.

It looks to me like your seat foam has been shaved down slightly near the front at the lowest point, for a shorter rider? If so and that doesn't suit you, you may be able to find a shorter rider to trade seats with, or just pick up another used seat and potentially a new cover. *IF* it's even an issue for you.
I'm 5'10" & wife 5'2" or 5'3", we shaved her 200 XC-W seat and when I ride it, I find I'm far too close to the foot pegs.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Congratulations on your KDX!

Go over it pretty well before hitting warp speed. :-) The only thing that really sticks out to me is the chain is either completely wore out or WAY out of adjustment on tension.

Buying a service manual OEM or Cyclepedia will be the best money you can ever spend on it.

Again, congratulations and good luck on your KDX!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Nice buy with all the good aftermarket bits already in place. Tune the suspension, adjust the chain, and give it a good once over then ride it!
assquatch20

Post by assquatch20 »

20231208_070548.jpg
20231208_070548.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 1231 times
Only rode it up and down my driveway once but it feels alright. Carb might need adjusted or just ran a bit. Throttle response is kinda odd down low but good power on the pipe. Chain is at its tightest setting but may need a link or two taken out. Sprockets look pretty good but I think the chain is just too long. May just replace it all but we'll see.

It's looking like more rain than previously expected tomorrow so I may not take it out this weekend. Eager to run it some though. Got some day trip saddlebags to throw on if nothing else.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

assquatch20 wrote: 10:23 am Dec 08 2023 20231208_070548.jpg

Carb might need adjusted or just ran a bit. Throttle response is kinda odd down low but good power on the pipe.
Carb jetting could be quite off, so it's worth opening up and checking jet sizes,needle clip height, and # on the needle (OEM Kawi part# like R1367 etc or upgraded to a different Keihin needle CEK, DEK, CEL, DEL, NEDJ, etc).

Also, if it makes not much power or good throttle response down low, you may want to pull the flywheel (M27 left hand thread flywheel puller required, flywheel holding tool or strap wrench is recommended for reinstallation to properly torque it) & check the ignition timing setting. Bottom mark will give very poor low rpm performance with a strong mid-range surge of power,& lots of top end.
Top mark will give a 200 a lot more low-mid torque response for lifting the front wheel over logs, rocks roots, & mud holes, + good mids, but will sign off early in the upper RPM ranges.
Middle is a compromise of both, I prefer a bit above the middle somewhere in between middle and upper mark.
A 220 just over the middle mark a hair is perfect with heaps of low end torque and predicable response, top mark on a well tuned 220 is a suicide mission of explosive throttle response... 220 makes power more like a 250/300 than a 200.

Yours has the Gnarly Woods pipe, which limits the top end overrev but makes a 200 much better in medium to tighter woods trails. Proper fine tuning of the carn on the 200 is even more critical to maximize power delivery and efficiency if you want some roll on torque to easily lodt the front wheel without having to clutch it up.

assquatch20 wrote: 10:23 am Dec 08 2023 It's looking like more rain than previously expected tomorrow so I may not take it out this weekend. Eager to run it some though. Got some day trip saddlebags to throw on if nothing else.
I called off work today "due to the weather" :cool: to utilize this 60 degree sunny December day, as our trail season ends after this weekend at the Wayne National Forest and Pike/Perry/Richland Furnace State Forest trails across Appalachian Southeastern Ohio... It quickly went from just my wife snd & to 3 ppl, 4,... now 7 of us or more :grin:
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Whereabouts in Tennessee are you?
Doe Mountain Recreation Area Tennessee near Mountain City has some really nice singletracks... Not too far of a trip to Brown Mountain OHV in Pisgah National Forest NC, which I feel is one of the best public trail systems anywhere in the East... Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park is incredible also. And my other top top favorite, Redbird Crest in remote Southeastern Kentucky in Daniel Boone National Forest, a stone's throw to the VA/TN/KY Tri-State border. Redbird is incredible. Massive area, endless trails, 70 mile outer loop that's pretty rugged in places, the last 7 trail sections #'d 16-22 are official singletracks. The whole 1-22 loop is awesome except for the long road connectors between 13 & 16. Tons of outlaw single all over the region as well in & outside of the national forest.

There's a nice private club Cumberland something or other Trail Riders, can't recall the exact name, I'll ask a friend who's a member...
Enjoy this bike, they're fantastic machines 💪
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
assquatch20

Post by assquatch20 »

Chuck78 wrote: 11:39 am Dec 08 2023
assquatch20 wrote: 10:23 am Dec 08 2023 20231208_070548.jpg

Carb might need adjusted or just ran a bit. Throttle response is kinda odd down low but good power on the pipe.
Carb jetting could be quite off, so it's worth opening up and checking jet sizes,needle clip height, and # on the needle (OEM Kawi part# like R1367 etc or upgraded to a different Keihin needle CEK, DEK, CEL, DEL, NEDJ, etc).

Also, if it makes not much power or good throttle response down low, you may want to pull the flywheel (M27 left hand thread flywheel puller required, flywheel holding tool or strap wrench is recommended for reinstallation to properly torque it) & check the ignition timing setting. Bottom mark will give very poor low rpm performance with a strong mid-range surge of power,& lots of top end.
Top mark will give a 200 a lot more low-mid torque response for lifting the front wheel over logs, rocks roots, & mud holes, + good mids, but will sign off early in the upper RPM ranges.
Middle is a compromise of both, I prefer a bit above the middle somewhere in between middle and upper mark.
A 220 just over the middle mark a hair is perfect with heaps of low end torque and predicable response, top mark on a well tuned 220 is a suicide mission of explosive throttle response... 220 makes power more like a 250/300 than a 200.

Yours has the Gnarly Woods pipe, which limits the top end overrev but makes a 200 much better in medium to tighter woods trails. Proper fine tuning of the carn on the 200 is even more critical to maximize power delivery and efficiency if you want some roll on torque to easily lodt the front wheel without having to clutch it up.

assquatch20 wrote: 10:23 am Dec 08 2023 It's looking like more rain than previously expected tomorrow so I may not take it out this weekend. Eager to run it some though. Got some day trip saddlebags to throw on if nothing else.
I called off work today "due to the weather" :cool: to utilize this 60 degree sunny December day, as our trail season ends after this weekend at the Wayne National Forest and Pike/Perry/Richland Furnace State Forest trails across Appalachian Southeastern Ohio... It quickly went from just my wife snd & to 3 ppl, 4,... now 7 of us or more :grin:
The carb is a Lectron so I'll have to do some homework on them.

I actually live just a little ways from where the Upper Cumberland Trail Riders get together. I'm in Alpine TN. Can get up to that park using the old trails but lots of mud holes nowadays. I do need to check the place out.

There's a couple good single track trails over near Tellico Plains that I like though. Trails 81 and 82. Maybe ten miles altogether but pretty fun. There's also Windrock.
Trackdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trackdog »

Welcome!
You will find a lot of information here.
And you will enjoy riding your KDX.
I don't know the terrain you will be riding in, but I would swap out that rear tire. It looks like a trials tire. I had the same type of tire on my DR350, and it offered zero traction in wet, muddy conditions.
2004 KDX 200
2004 KX 125
1986 CR 125
1994 DR350
1998 VFR
2004 DUCATI S4R