New E-series owner from Alabama

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TheScrambler

New E-series owner from Alabama

Post by TheScrambler »

Hi there everybody, never thought I'd be a kawasaki owner (always been a Yamaha guy), but always wanted a good sporty enduro 2 stroke and heard nothing but good things about the KDX, so here I am. Recently bought an 89 with 1050 miles on it in relatively decent condition. Pipe was smashed almost flat when I bought it, so I've put am fmf fatty on it, running the stock silencer. I'm fairly dirt bike experienced, and wow, this thing rips. I haven't played with the jetting yet so it's surely running rich (figured I'd be safe for a day ride or two), but even still it is ridiculously strong all over the rev range except the very bottom. I believe the pilot jet may be clogged, as the idle screw is maxed out, so it's probably running on the needle.... but surprisingly it idles and acts normal for the most part. Plug is dark so I don't feel it's in immediate danger. It'll get a good carb clean and jetting in a month or so.

I've also made a discovery that may be of use to someone: My stock air filter was degraded and I couldn't find one locally in time for my ride last weekend, BUT I did have a spare UNI for my drz400 laying around, which looked mighty similar. Sure enough, it's almost a perfect fit! So, if you're ever in a bind for an air filter, a local cycle gear or something of that nature is pretty likely to have an air filter in stock that will work.

Anyways, glad to be here, I'm sure I can learn a lot from you guys.

-Jon
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New E-series owner from Alabama

Post by bufftester »

Just don't dip your carb in Berrymans or similar when you clean it. Spray cleaner and soft bristle brush. Jets'R'Us or Sudco if you need replacement parts, the Amazon Chinese knock-offs are kind of a crapshoot. Welcome to the group! Used to live down in Lower Alabama (Fort Walton Beach, FL lol) and made a couple trips up to Bankhead Nat Forest years ago.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Welcome!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome from a north AL member.

Congratulations on the KDX!

I will second the suggestion to not dip the Keihin PWK carbs. It will ruin an internal o-ring style gasket. Look up "jet block gasket".

On the plug, the stock plug is B9ES, but a B8ES is a lot better heat range for it. The 1995+ KDX's went to an 8 heat range.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TheScrambler

Post by TheScrambler »

I hear you on the plug reccomendations, already stocked up on BR8EG plugs. And I tend to stay away from berrymans, learned that lesson a long time ago. These days I use 50/50 simple green and water for 8 hours or so, then go to town with the compressed air.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Very good. Which part of AL are you in? I am near Noccalula Falls.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TheScrambler

Post by TheScrambler »

I currently live in irondale
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool. Enjoy the KDX!