New to the forum KDX220SR (Japan)

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Tokyotim

New to the forum KDX220SR (Japan)

Post by Tokyotim »

Hi everyone I am American living in Japan and I impulse bought a PRISTINE 1995 KDX220SR here in Japan. Depending on how difficult the parts are to source I would like to restore it to brand new status over time. Is this a pipe dream to find parts for it? This street legal model never made it to USA from what I can see right? Would it be easy to source parts from USA KDX models to swap in should I decide to import it? If it’s too hard to find parts I will ride it here in Japan and have fun and sell it when I leave. Thanks for the help
Attachments
IMG_8586.jpeg
IMG_8586.jpeg (252.41 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New to the forum KDX220SR (Japan)

Post by John_S »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations. I won't be able to help as far as parts availability goes but there are other members who will chime in.
I haven't seen that exact model / color combo before. Very nice find!!
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

Thanks! I believe the color code is “firecracker red”
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Welcome! That is one sweet looking KDX! There are some big differences between the SR versions and the US spec'ed bikes. However, I think a lot is the same including your normal wear parts. I know I wouldn't hesitate to have an SR model here in the US but I'm a little wacky that way.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I'm not sure about parts. That is one cool KDX. Never seen one like that. I'd import that sucker & keep it.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

From what I remember reading elsewhere, the KDX220-B1 (the SR) is basically the 220-A1 with road legal hardware and a steel tank, everything else is basically the same as the US spec A model. I'd definitely keep it IIWM.
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Welcome and beautiful bike Tim, I wouldn't hesitate bringing it back to the US "IF" it can be brought back, a few parts now are NLA on the 220 both SR and A models, there is the used parts market and they were available in other a few other areas around the world, but you are in the heart of it. Since you are in Japan try to make some contacts at some of the local bike shops maybe regarding hard to find NLA, new or even used parts. You could source some of the hard to find model specific and NLA parts while your there and stock up for when the time comes for needing replacement.
I have imported several trucks/cars(Toyota Landcruisers,Hiluxs and Skylines) over the past 20 years and find dealing with companies and individuals in Japan very easy and a pleasure.
On shipping vehicles(bikes) you can do RORO(roll on roll off) or container, sometimes a container wasn't much more then RORO, sorry last one I brought over was pre covid so not sure what it is like now, use to be able to buy a container for under $2000 then, tried to get one early 21 and it was just over $5000.
You are in a great location to source some bikes North America never received again "IF" they can be brought in, for you in the US it has to be over 25 years old, here in Canada 15, check with your local motor vehicle branch(DMV) in the US if street legal if it can be given title and able to be insured or if it needs you to jump through hoops to do it, not sure what they do if it is a dirt only model? To import you can use a broker or for us in Canada we could do it ourselves, just paperwork. Here the trucks/cars had to go through inspection and have the same roadworthy requirements as if it was sold in Canada, usually change the head light lens since driving on the righthand side now left side and after 1991 daylight running light here, especially check before trying to ship anything as I have seen many guys try to bring something in and it went straight to the crusher.

James..
02 KDX220
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

Thanks for the info guys and the detailed info Jimmy, I am currently researching how to bring it into the states and am waiting for my DMV to call me back. I am doing the paperwork to get it registered and will be riding it here in Japan back and forth to the beach. I will get the suspension redone ASAP as I’m a little thick 112kg and who knows when it’s been service last. Then hunt down a new FMF/PIPE combo here if possible or I can order and send it to the base via APO from the US mail
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Tokyotim wrote: 12:20 am Aug 29 2023 Thanks for the info guys and the detailed info Jimmy, I am currently researching how to bring it into the states and am waiting for my DMV to call me back. I am doing the paperwork to get it registered and will be riding it here in Japan back and forth to the beach. I will get the suspension redone ASAP as I’m a little thick 112kg and who knows when it’s been service last. Then hunt down a new FMF/PIPE combo here if possible or I can order and send it to the base via APO from the US mail
Check your bike before you order a pipe for it. IIRC, the SR has a bolt on pipe vs the slip on/spring retained version like the US models.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

SS109 wrote: 03:56 pm Aug 29 2023
Tokyotim wrote: 12:20 am Aug 29 2023 Thanks for the info guys and the detailed info Jimmy, I am currently researching how to bring it into the states and am waiting for my DMV to call me back. I am doing the paperwork to get it registered and will be riding it here in Japan back and forth to the beach. I will get the suspension redone ASAP as I’m a little thick 112kg and who knows when it’s been service last. Then hunt down a new FMF/PIPE combo here if possible or I can order and send it to the base via APO from the US mail
Check your bike before you order a pipe for it. IIRC, the SR has a bolt on pipe vs the slip on/spring retained version like the US models.

Yeah appreciate it bro I am going to check thoroughly before I order I am def not sure about fitment I am scouring three forums for correct info
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

Sick color combo, I find the SR models hilarious as a 2 stroke dirt bike pretty much sucks to ride more than two miles on the street.
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

jaunt wrote: 04:03 pm Aug 30 2023 Sick color combo, I find the SR models hilarious as a 2 stroke dirt bike pretty much sucks to ride more than two miles on the street.
It shouldn’t be too bad I’m just riding around the city where the speed limit is about 30mph and back and forth to the beach 15 mins one way. I really just got it cause all the girls can’t resist the 90s color combo lol
jaunt

Post by jaunt »

Tokyotim wrote: 09:33 pm Aug 30 2023
jaunt wrote: 04:03 pm Aug 30 2023 Sick color combo, I find the SR models hilarious as a 2 stroke dirt bike pretty much sucks to ride more than two miles on the street.
It shouldn’t be too bad I’m just riding around the city where the speed limit is about 30mph and back and forth to the beach 15 mins one way. I really just got it cause all the girls can’t resist the 90s color combo lol
Sounds great 😎
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That thing looks sweet!
'00 KDX 220R
jedidan45

Post by jedidan45 »

Oh man, that SR is siccccccccccck...very nice find...I'd ride the heck outta that thing!!!
Long live the KDX and all hail King Fredette!
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

That is the best "impulse buy" ever. If you ever want to "impulse sell it" let me know LOL. Take care and enjoy it!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200