2005 KDX200H basket case

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
jakeslouw

2005 KDX200H basket case

Post by jakeslouw »

Hi all

I'm newish to KDX's (I co-owned an old aircooled 1984 A model at one stage), and I just picked up a basket-case H model for the princely sum of $0.00. Basically a rolling frame and a bunch of boxes.

Now, I hate looking a gift horse in the chompers. But I predict a crap-load of work and refurbishing.

Plans:
- identify what I have and what I do not have (I think some of the KIPS stuff might be gone)
- evaluate the condition of what I do have
- decide what to upgrade, what to repair, and what to replace
- get a list of missing or broken stuff that I might need to source

I'll be asking a bunch of stupid questions soon:
- How much of the KX125 and KX250 engine and frame components are shared with this 2005
- Confirming whether or not I can use KX forks and shocks (yes, I'll read the threads, but still)
- Which aftermarket shops are the best when OEM is no longer available

My experience:
- I've owned in the region of 15 dirt bikes and dual sports over the years
- I've done frame-up rebuilds on at least 3 of these
- I've been an enduro rider since 1983
- I won't be doing hard enduro any more: hip and knee replacements tend to be painful and costly

My aims and goals:
I basically want a torquey 2-stroke with a more modern suspension that doesn't have to stand back for those bloody orange austrian bikes that pitch up at my farm every weekend :grin:
And I want opinions on the frame respray colour..........
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2005 KDX200H basket case

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on the KDX.

Pretty much zero KX parts will swap onto a KDX. They are quite different without modifications.

The stock shock can be made to work well. There's not much inside a KX shock that is different than a KDX shock. A KX shock may be too wide to work in the confined space of a KDX shock area.

Check the subforum on fork exchange, as the steering stem, bearings, clamps are going to be the issue.

Is this a dirt only model or street and trail version?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Dirt only. Which includes trails as we don't differentiate between them in our country. Street use would require a title and full roadworthy kit, and this bike probably never had any paperwork.

I'm busy digging through all the posts and threads regarding upgrades and conversions............which might take me years. How good is the forum search function? :wink:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good enough that you can find the information you need without waiting on someone else to answer the same questions that have been asked for 19 years on this site. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Welcome to the fold! Yes, the forum is loaded with tons of great info on maintaining and modifying your KDX. We'll help anyway we can!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R