New Purchase KDX 220

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Kevbot

New Purchase KDX 220

Post by Kevbot »

Just bought a 01 KDX 220. It has V3 reeds, FMF exhaust, Kouba link from what I can see on the outside. I am a little concerned about the piston being factory, is there a way to identify it without taking the jug off? Peaking through the spark plug?

Right now its running pretty rich, so I was going to take a look at the carb and tinker but might just get the lectron and not mess with a 20 year old carb. Other than that I am excited to get it on the trails and sell the turd 4 stroke.
Attachments
kdx1.jpg
kdx1.jpg (180.56 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New Purchase KDX 220

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. There is a recent post where a member made a video discussing the stock piston. Check it out.

You may be able to tell through the exhaust port or intake port.

Congratulations on the KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

Thanks KDXGarage, I will do some searching. Really hoping its aftermarket so I can ride the rest of summer and do a top end this winter.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

They run rich out of the box, and then aftermarket reeds/pipe were added and likely not rejetted. I would pull the carb and clean it well (don't dip it) and then go through the jetting guide. Odds are very high it will be all you need to do. If you have a endoscope you can probably pull the spark plug and get a good look at the top of the piston and may be able to tell (OEM vs aftermarket markings) IIWM I'd dump the Kouba link unless you really need it.
Kevbot

Post by Kevbot »

Started tearing in to clean it up and look at the piston/potentially change.

Does everyone take the cylinder off and measure before ordering a piston or just go with the stock size?
Attachments
kdx4.jpg
kdx4.jpg (174.08 KiB) Viewed 2455 times