Old Rider - New KDX Northern Virginia

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
TTRUDave

Old Rider - New KDX Northern Virginia

Post by TTRUDave »

Hi, my name is Dave and I have an addiction for motorcycles (and it's contagious)
Been riding bikes since I was a teenager in Western New York and now many (many) years later, I'm still riding.
I was a dual sport/adventure rider and enjoyed the challenge of riding state forest roads and trails. Got talked into riding in a hare scramble with a DRZ400. I survived, but handling that monster on a competitive single track course kicked my ass.
Got my then 7 year old daughter to try... she crashed hard on the first lap, but completed a few more laps before finishing 3rd (of 3). She said she liked riding trails better. I got a smaller KXF250 and the daughters moved up to a TTR125 and a XR80 and we tried again. I was still pretty much last as I spent much of the race getting out of the way of the faster riders. The girls on the other hand kicked ass and took 1st and 2nd in the Jr Mini Women class. Fast forward another couple years and my younger daughter won the Super Mini Women Championship (the same one who liked trail riding better). While they kept getting bigger bikes I went smaller and raced a YZ125... Now my biggest challenge is not getting lapped by them during a race... The oldest daughter "borrowed" my YZ to race this past season and doesn't want to give it back...So I got a KDX220R.

Just picked it up this past Sunday, so I haven't really had a chance to test it yet, but so far I'm impressed. Bike is show room clean, modified with a KX500 triple and YZ250 forks/wheel. Fredette modified carb and head and full FMF exhaust...
Looking forward to getting it dirty and doing my best to keep up with the daughters at the next race.... might be a lofty goal, but maybe I'll be able to keep up with MoonStomper :supz:
Rattlesnake family small.jpg
Rattlesnake family small.jpg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
DRZ Racing samll.jpg
DRZ Racing samll.jpg (103.25 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Old Rider - New KDX Northern Virginia

Post by bufftester »

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. Love seeing families ride. My daughter started on a PW50 and my son on an RM85 LOTS of years ago.
TTRUDave

Post by TTRUDave »

I'm starting all over again... My youngest, Kyle has always loved the bikes and races. He's been racing strider bikes for a couple years now. Time for him to move up to the PeeWee class. (it was soo much easier keeping up with the daughters, this getting old stuff sucks :grin: )
Kyle TTR round 2.jpg
Kyle TTR round 2.jpg (205.4 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome aboard.

Congratulations on the KDX!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TTRUDave

Post by TTRUDave »

05 KDX220R Day 1 small.jpg
05 KDX220R Day 1 small.jpg (134.66 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
Don't think it will ever be this clean again...

Looking to swap out the light for a "standard" number plate for hare scrambles. Will still need the light/lights for a 24 hour race next summer. Also plan to swap out the rear fender for a MX fender, Devol Rad Guards and a pipe guard.
Other than those minor things, not much left to do but ride...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Nice!

I'd look for a YZ250 front plate.

It's a "hare scramble" fender, not a MX fender. :-)

Read up on some of the threads about upgrading the stock lighting coil to have increased output. The stock 30 watts or so at higher RPM's is not exactly the best setup for night racing. It's all right, but could be better, especially for racing.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TTRUDave

Post by TTRUDave »

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions...
TTRUDave

Post by TTRUDave »

Got my first ride this weekend out on some trails... Wow. The bike handled the roots and ruts with ease, very little rebound. Bike just soaked it up.
Rutted and rooted hillclimbs were cake with one minor exception. At times I had more torque than traction. :lol: Going to take a little learning to tame this beast. One the couple straight-aways our club's trail have, I was at the end before I could get to 5th gear let alone 6th.
Certainly happy with my find...