Intro and Plastics Help

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
GregZ

Intro and Plastics Help

Post by GregZ »

Hey guys - I'm located in the west suburbs of Chicago and recently picked up a 91 KDX250 that's in pretty rough shape. The bike really needs a new set of plastics but at 300+ from UFO, I'm hoping I can find another option.

My plan for the time being is to clean up the existing plastics but I am missing one. I have looked all over the web with no luck so I figured I ask here - does anyone have a left side (clutch side) side panel they'd be willing to sell me? Condition isn't important since all other need to be reconditioned.

Any tips on adding a bit more power? The bike is all stock and seems sluggish for a 250.

I'll post some pictures of the bike later.

Thanks!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Intro and Plastics Help

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

If you don't mind me saying so, take care of plastics as the last part of a rebuild. The engine, suspension and chassis may need a lot of work.

UFO does not make side panels or radiator shrouds for the KDX250. It is OEM only. You can put on a 1990 - 1991 KX125 / KX250 rear fender easily if the rear fender support bars are removed. Pretty much any KX / KDX front fender will work, as the hole pattern stayed the same.

Post a wanted ad in the "Wanted" subforum of the classified section. Maybe someone has an extra to part with.

If it needs a lot of work, then the engine may need a lot of work also.

Buying the KDX200 base service manual and the KDX250 supplement manual will be the best money you can spend on it, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Post some pics when you can.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

A 30 year old bike is going to need some TLC, especially if the PO didn't take good care of it. First things should be compression and leakdown checks to gauge the overall health of the motor, and a thorough carb cleaning (don't use carb dip) is most likely in order.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes. Do not use Berryman's or similar on Keihin PWK carbs.
GregZ

Post by GregZ »

Thanks for the pointers. The jug looks new and was told the top end had been gone through. Bike has good compression, the swing arm bearings have been redone, fork seals etc. Unfortunately the previous owner swapped the carb out with a cheapo Chinese carb and threw the original out. I have already ordered an exhaust O-ring kit and new break-pads. Bike needs a re-jet and tune job done - I have a local powersports guy that's going to go through the rest of the bike for me. Any pointers on jetting and tuning?

Really need the left side panel! I'll post in the classified section and see what happens. Pictures below

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Those counterfeit carbs are a crap shoot. Good luck on that.

I would disappoint a couple of folks in here if I did not point out the "too tight" chain. :-) When the rear suspension is compressed, it will get even tighter, causing strain on the output shaft bearing, output shaft, chain, sprockets, etc.

You can view the owner's manual for free on the Kawasaki site.

Here's a place with online diagrams of various areas of the bike. You can look at the diagram, then check out your bike to see if you are missing any parts.

It looks a little rough, but many bikes in worse shape have turned out great after some studying, money and effort. Keep at it.

On the left side, you need a radiator shroud and a side panel. Unfortunately, Kawasaki is the only company I know of that ever made them.