New rider, have KDX, need to learn a lot

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
malkoppie

New rider, have KDX, need to learn a lot

Post by malkoppie »

Hi KDX people,

I am from South Africa, Cape Town. I am new to the whole scene, my 2004 KDX 200 is my first bike ever and I'm hoping to catch some tips and tricks and see where it gets me.

The previous owner of the bike loved to ride in sand, so I have a lot of cleanup still to do, but getting there. The bike starts quickly at least, but when warmed up, it does not want to idle and dies on me often.

Another thing I hope to get sorted is the fact that I am vertically challenged and need tips for short riders that can barely touch the ground when sitting on the bike. I am painfully aware this is not a common problem and that info on this might be hard to find. Found some vids on youtube, still need to try some of the tips.

I really need to get the idling issue out of the way as my length makes kick starting a problem too. Any tips on the idling would be welcome.

Anyway, that's my short story, hope to learn a lot as I go.

Malkoppie
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New rider, have KDX, need to learn a lot

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Check that the carb float level is correct and the carb is VERY clean.

Also, check the reed tip ends. Any fraying or chips will hurt idling and general performance.

On the short legs, it will get better over time as you get more experience. On the cheap, raise the forks up a little and decrease the preload on the spring. To do it the best way, travel limiting spacers would be installed in the forks and shock to limit travel and therefore reduce seat height.

If you have a spare seat, take off the seat cover and foam, then shave it down an inch, then put the cover back on. I would suggest you don't do this to your only seat, as if you stick with riding and get more confidence and skill, the missing inch of foam would sure help cushion the ride while seated.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
malkoppie

Post by malkoppie »

Thank you for the welcome and advice, KDXGarage.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Lowering links are also an option, and are very easy to fashion if you don't want to buy them. Clean the carb and adjust the floats, then go through the jetting guide to dial it in. Obviously before that you want to make sure that everything is mechanically sound (reeds as mentioned, no holes in rubber bits, clean filter, etc). And welcome to the site!