New member in Georgia

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Guinness Dave
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New member in Georgia

Post by Guinness Dave »

Hi Green Team, Love my new little 1996 KDX200 even though I've barely ridden it. I have been rejetting slowly as able on the Amazon quad-vent, striker carb it came with, 155 & 45 needle middle groove so far. Plug still gassy, but, not really ridden yet. It has KLX300 forks which I'm not crazy about because the triples hit the tank, steering lock is reduced and they raised the front. I slid them up in the triples 1/2" which is as far as I'd go seeing as the clamps would be squeezing the tapered part of the tube. It also came with the stockers, freshly rebuilt, but, undersprung. Maybe I can swap springs. Overall I'm happy with the purchase. I didn't see it had a bent front brake rotor, but, luckily I had a spare some of me gave me, lucky score! The cylinder has been replated and has a new top and bottom end so all good there. That KIPS noise is insane. I have to plug my left ear when bent down messing with the air screw, IT IS THAT LOUD!!! Hard to believe some metal is not fatiguing out with all that racket... it came with a clapped out WER damper which maybe I can rebuild and install. The lights are unplugged and area loose ones but she runs sweet, so I'll eventually fix those up. Good news, I emailed Actionsportsdecals out of Australia who make replica KDX200 decals, they will be back up this week! Looking fwd to some woods riding and screaming 2T thrills. Cheers -Dave
Last edited by Guinness Dave on 08:51 am Mar 22 2021, edited 2 times in total.
Guinness Dave
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New member in Georgia

Post by Guinness Dave »

My 96 KDX200. They always look better from a distance 😂
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. Thanks for joining and ... participating!

The springs are different OD's / ID's and won't work.

Are you 100% certain it is the KIPS?

How do you know the top end is replated and the bottom end has been rebuilt?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Guinness Dave
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guinness Dave »

He had receipts for the plated cylinder and rest on his word. Do you know if the KLX300 forks raised the front, or was it my imagination? Looked really high. I assume (hope!) that is the KIPS noise, as it fades away when revved, just a whirring at idle with a loud whack sound also. Both go away with revs, but, damn it's loud. Like I'd go deaf while bent down adjusting the air screw from the whacking sound.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, just asking on the previous work. A lot of bikes are sold without proof of previous work, so just wanting to be sure.

The KLX forks should not really raise the front. Any chance the rear is too low?

Look on youtube for some KIPS videos to see if yours sounds the same.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Guinness Dave
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guinness Dave »

Will do, thx for the suggestions. I definitely rushed into this particular bike for various reasons, but, it seems a solid base. Pretty stoked on this green machine.👍
claybo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by claybo »

Guinness Dave wrote: 03:52 pm Mar 22 2021 I definitely rushed into this particular bike for various reasons, but, it seems a solid base.
Heck you can't get a bike these days without rushing into it seems. I've been looking for a new quad for my daughter and by the time I see an ad for one, it's already sold.

Welcome! Lots of good info and good people here.
Guinness Dave
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guinness Dave »

That's no joke, I guess blue book values on used bikes are way up since the pandemic also. Happy to have a KDX, now to get out and wring it's neck! 🤘
Architect

Post by Architect »

Welcome from NJ. I agree that the good bikes go fast.. I remember just a couple of years ago that a good KDX would go for around $2200. Now you will be lucky to find a decent one here in NJ for under $3000. Forget about one with paperwork.. As far as previous work being done, I found that the amount of time SINCE the work was done was exaggerated. The previous owner of my 200 claimed to only have a few hours on the rebuild but as I got into it, I soon found that time to be longer.. No big deal, still a solid bike and it allows me to learn more about the bike as I fix / replace things on it.. What's the fun in buying a new bike? LOL.
Guinness Dave
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guinness Dave »

Ya, there wasn't much within a 9 hour drive of me, kinda jumped at this one as a racer/professional mechanic owned it. The KDX seems a killer little package, I like everything about it. It definitely pulls once that power band comes on. Now time will tell how fresh the motor is and how much longer that KIPS noise will last 😅. A bike with no needs would be no fun LoL.