New from central NY

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
clappy379
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New from central NY

Post by clappy379 »

Hey all -

I’ve lurked on here in the past but never registered. In 10th grade high school my parents bought me a 2002 KDX 200. It’s been a great bike - I rode it a lot in high school, moved away, and only got it out once or twice a year when I’d visit after moving away. It only has the air box lid removed, the FMF torque pipe and renthal bars.

The bike still has the original tires (not bad condition actually) and after checking the PSI I’m just above 175PSI for compression (original piston - I never previously did anything to the top end).

Anyways, I’m tearing it down a bit because I plan to ride it this coming spring now that I’ve moved back from city life. I haven’t had luck with Ron from RB in getting one of his modified carbs, but sent him a friendly follow-up (we’ll see). I plan to update the reeds, see what options I have for the carb and will probably leave the top end as-is for now, but may still pull the head off and take a look.

Glad to see the bike is still popular and people are still out riding them.
clappy379
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New from central NY

Post by clappy379 »

Here is a recent pic
Attachments
Screenshot_20210220-125243_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210220-125243_Gallery.jpg (802.29 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

NICE!!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Sweet condition. I love my '02. I hope you can get in touch with RB however he did say a month back that he was down to the last few carbs. I did see the PWK35 Air Striker for $199 from " xcbob " on ebay. His are not counterfeit carbs from china. They are guaranteed authentic PWK's.

PWK35 on eBay
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
cb_swift

Post by cb_swift »

Hey clappy375! I’m near Albany NY. Originally from West Winfield NY... just south of Utica. Where are you located?
I’m working on restoring a 1992 KDX250. My cousins working on a 1990 Kdx200. We are hoping to do some riding in the Edmeston area this year. If your in the neighborhood... join us!
clappy379
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by clappy379 »

TwistedRoot wrote: 10:09 am Feb 21 2021 Sweet condition. I love my '02. I hope you can get in touch with RB however he did say a month back that he was down to the last few carbs. I did see the PWK35 Air Striker for $199 from " xcbob " on ebay. His are not counterfeit carbs from china. They are guaranteed authentic PWK's.

PWK35 on eBay
Thanks! Yeah I will wait a little longer then do something else. What is the benefit of the air striker? If RB isn't an option, I guess air striker, possibly JD jet kit, lectron (but quite $$). I noticed there's a lot of oily grime on the carb and reed block area so I will at a minimum go through the carb. I'm a bit of an amateur but learning!
clappy379
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by clappy379 »

cb_swift wrote: 10:19 am Feb 21 2021 Hey clappy375! I’m near Albany NY. Originally from West Winfield NY... just south of Utica. Where are you located?
I’m working on restoring a 1992 KDX250. My cousins working on a 1990 Kdx200. We are hoping to do some riding in the Edmeston area this year. If your in the neighborhood... join us!
Hey thanks! That would be fun, that's up near Cooperstown? I'm just north of Ithaca / west of Cortland. I've only ridden around the farm and very local trails so I'd be quite interested!
cb_swift

Post by cb_swift »

Yeah.... just west of Cooperstown.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get some new tires. Those must be as pliable as a stack of bricks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
clappy379
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by clappy379 »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:58 pm Feb 21 2021 Get some new tires. Those must be as pliable as a stack of bricks.
Haha good point, I will look them over but should replace.

I'm thinking new tires, carb, v-force, maybe have Fredette go through my shock and lower it given my short stature, see how it goes. I may go for a desert pipe and silencer just to see if I like that powerband more as well. Especially if I can maintain low end with carb work and the new reed setup.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the forums non-incognito :grin: