New member - Old KDX175

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
HopFrog175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New member - Old KDX175

Post by HopFrog175 »

Hello everyone, new member here with a 1980 KDX175. I got it in broken condition a long time ago and have never ridden it - time to fix it :grin:

The story is that some time in spring 1991 I got a call from the up-North relatives: "Next time you come up, bring a dirt-bike for your cousin but make it cheap."

No problem, in May 1991 I found this non-running 1980 KDX175 with a scored cylinder for $140. Proceeded to get the cylinder fixed through the local Kawa shop, new piston, seals and some misc parts. Got the engine together and then another call - "Forget the dirt bike, your mis-behaving cousin don't deserve nuthin." Uh ... ok.

I am a street bike guy so left the kdx alone - until now! It finally got to the top of the list so here we go. I figure I will pull it apart and replace all the seals and any other 40-yr old parts that need replacing. Fortunately. I knew I would be doing this one day so I picked up various parts over the years. I will still be hitting ebay though.

I see there is an air-cooled forum so I will start a build thread there - should be fun :-)

HopFrog175
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New member - Old KDX175

Post by bufftester »

Welcome and good luck on the project!
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I used to drool on the 175 every time I went to the dealer. I’ll be watching your build with great interest.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WELCOME!! Thanks for joining us. I am looking forward to seeing how the work goes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
HopFrog175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by HopFrog175 »

The build has started :grin:

HopFrog's KDX175 Build Log

My starting point:
HopFrog_kdx175_000.jpg
HopFrog_kdx175_000.jpg (271.06 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

Very interesting project. I'm positive it will be done well simply because
1) it's cool as all get out
2) parts that are bought will be expensive and rare and those parts made will be labor intensive.

Keep us posted-

Welcome to the site. Old dirt bikes rule here which makes most of the members cool by proxy while the rest of us simply can't be helped.