New Member Old Man with '99 KDX200

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
jimboe

New Member Old Man with '99 KDX200

Post by jimboe »

Hi Everyone!

I started riding motorcycles the summer Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stomped around in the dirt on the moon. Imagine the air you could get up there on a KDX with only 1/6 of the gravity that crushes our bones here on earth.

I live in Southern Oregon where the quality of the riding (and Mt biking, and skiing, and kayaking) is fantastic.

Do you remember the 1st time you rode a KDX and the impression it made on you? I do. It was about 17 years ago and a stranger was kind enough to let me ride his 200 at John's Peak OHV area. I didn't have much dirt bike experience, but I felt like I'd been riding that bike for years, and was sliding it around and lifting the front wheel in the 1st half mile. I thought, "This bike is so FUN and friendly!" Unfortunately, I wasn't able to buy one at the time because I thought it would be more practical to get a XR650R and convert to dual sport instead. Oh, how I wrestled that beast on rocky roads and trails. That XR out-weighed my by more than double and never let me forget it.

Fast-forward to today and I am 2 weeks away from retirement and will have 40 hours a week of time to fill with fun things. This past summer, I bought a barely-used '99 KDX200 as a distraction from the doom & gloom of COVID19, extreme political divisiveness and misinformation, and have been going through it to make sure it will be everything I remembered from my 1st ride on one.

I started referring to forums when I had my XR and know how valuable they can be for detailed information to prevent and solve problems, and for sharing ideas to dial in our bikes to their full potential.

I also look forward to opportunities to meet other local KDX riders in So. Oregon to share favorite places to go, get tips and advice, and experience the magic and camaraderie that has led to such a loyal, long-term following for the KDXs.

Thanks to the creators and moderators of kdxrider.net, and all you members who share your knowledge and experience in an effort to carry on the legacy of the KDX.

Jim
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: New Member Old Man with '99 KDX200

Post by Goat »

Congrats! Hope you have a blast.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats on the impending retirement, and the new bike. Welcome to the forums!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Congratulations on retirement as well as starting your new job as a KDX jockey. Enjoy!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Welcome and enjoy that retirement. Stay busy and healthy. Oh, and don't forget that afternoon nap!
NEVER FORGET!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Just next in line. Congratulations. You've found one of the most trail worthy bikes out there. You can puts her around all day or let her rip and keep up with the modern full blown race bikes if you like. A very versatile, forgiving yet competitive bike would be difficult to locate, especially for the price.
Old Guy Racin' (retired)
jimboe

Post by jimboe »

Thank you, guys.

Yes, I'm happy to have discovered the KDX and am absolutely amazed at its enchanting alchemy.
'99 KDX200, '12 690 Enduro R, '08 Multistrada 1100S, '93 900SS, '46 Aeronca Champ
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

What a cool term.
Just be forewarned that $1600 venture into enchanting alchemy can lead to $5k of dedication to dark powers and occult infatuation.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ha ha ha!! Good on both of ya!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jimboe

Post by jimboe »

Whaddaya mean, "...that $1600 venture?!!!" I had to talk the previous owner down to $3000 just to start this odyssey. Thankfully, the bike has low hours and gentle handling from another old guy, but I may have to get a post-retirement, part-time job to finance a Lectron.
'99 KDX200, '12 690 Enduro R, '08 Multistrada 1100S, '93 900SS, '46 Aeronca Champ
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Nice! That just means you have a jump start on the more “used” models some have..... and for just a little more that can skip right over Lectron and bored 36mm and divider-plated RB special!
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
jimboe

Post by jimboe »

Actually, I called Smart Carb a couple months ago and asked if their carb would fit the KDX. The man I talked to said they get frequent calls from KDX owners and will be doing some R&D this winter to see if they can get it to fit in that tight space. I signed up for their newsletter to find out.
GATOROC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GATOROC »

I bet there is some great riding in Southern Oregon, especially around the Medford (valley) area. I had planned on making a trip from CO to Medford one of these summers to do some riding with a lifelong friend of mine, but unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly back in February of last year. I grew up over on the coast (Brookings), so my childhood memories are riding the old logging roads and getting MUDDY!

I see in your sig that you have a Champ - very cool! I bet the low/slow flying in OR is spectacular! Welcome to the forums, and hope to hear of some adventures on your KDX. Oh, and BTW, congrats on your retirement!! I'm jealous! :grin:

Todd
2000 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200

2024 Beta 300 RR Race Edition
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Congrats on retiring! I decided to get out of the rat race about 5 years ago. Then I moved out of town to a house on 4 acres with a 30x50 shop that I converted into my man cave. It didn’t take long and word got out and next thing you know I’m in the motorcycle and small engine repair business. lol

Next thing you know one of the owners of my favorite bar in town needs to sell out due to health reasons and I am now a 50/50 partner in a bar. lol

The main objective when I retired was to do some adventure rides. Even as busy as I get sometimes I have taken a ride out west every year but this one since 2014.
Each ride between 3 and 6 weeks and ranging from 1500 to 5200 miles. I’ve made it clear to my shop customers that It might be a while until they get their items back and they are fine with that. In fact many of them have become friends and follow my rides on a group text. The shop has also become their “cave” as well. I have to say that I feel very fortunate and enjoy the way my life has turned out and the new friends I have made in the bar and my shop. I’ve even made friends with some celebrities that frequent the bar when they are in town filming. Of course the pandemic has eliminated all of that this year but we’ll be back stronger than ever when it is safe to do so.

I’ve always had retired friends tell me they were busier than when they worked. I never understood it until now. I don’t know how I ever had time to work. As busy as I am sometimes I don’t feel like I have worked at all since I retired. I have been doing exactly what I want to do every day.

You’ll definitely find a way to occupy your time but you might be surprised at what it is. I would have never guessed this is how it would turn out for me.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Jesus Goof! That sounds better than winning the lottery. Hope you both enjoy your own time.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Goat wrote: 01:55 pm Jan 15 2021 Jesus Goof! That sounds better than winning the lottery. Hope you both enjoy your own time.
Thanks Goat. It would be even better if I won the lottery too! lol
jimboe

Post by jimboe »

Sorry to hear about your friend's passing, Todd. Good friends who are good riding buddies are hard to come by.

Yes, the dual-sport and road riding in So Oregon and N Cal are wonderful. I'm just beginning to explore the skinny trails with the KDX, ones on which I wasn't willing to take the 690.

The Champ does a great job around here where the mountain peaks are only about 7,000'. It wouldn't be so good in Colorado with 14,000-footers. It's better than Google Earth for looking at the routes I plan to or have already ridden the bikes. I can scout for snow blocked roads without having to ride all the way out and have to turn back. It's hard to see closed gates, however.

Let me know if you head back to Oregon with your bike.

Jim
jimboe

Post by jimboe »

Goofaroo,

Thanks for the insight into the unpredictability of retirement. Much of my life, with the exception of the past 25 years where I decided to stick to a career so I could afford a retirement, has been full of taking the road less travelled when I came to various forks. Those roads took me to some amazing and treasured places and experiences. I look forward to what's to come next, without knowing for sure what it will be.

The other night I watched a new Youtube video from the guys at Cross Training Enduro channel titled: 70 Years Old And Still Roosting.
It was inspirational. Reading everyone's replies to this thread makes me realize I'm in the company of guys with that same attitude who live with passion, regardless of age, ability or limitations, because that's what life is about.

I look forward to future conversations with you all on Kdxrider and perhaps someday spending some time on rides together.
Thanks for your comments.

Jim