New kdx owner, Wa

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New kdx owner, Wa

Post by Mnolan660r »

Those are nice examples you have there!! I really wish I didn't get rid of the Elsinore!! I'll try to find some pics and figure out how to post them up.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

No kidding!!!
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mnolan660r »

So I finally got the maiden voyage done and in the books!!! Went up to Elbe Hills. Only had one minor hiccup with the bike, found one of the coolant hoses to be leaking a very small amount. Just kept an eye on it, and ordered a full new set of hoses when I got home. I have never ridden Elbe Hills before, it is basically just jeep trails, but there were a few spots that had me questioning my decision to make that the place that I "got back into it" at. The last time I was on 2 wheels in the dirt was around 2008! That KDX pulled all the way up some gnarly technical stuff, I was impressed!!

A few observations:
I was impressed with the linear power!! I was half expecting it to be peaky, but that KDX just pulled from down low, all the way through to the upper R's . Once I got the idle set to where it wouldn't die on me, it was good to go!

The steering is very quick, wouldn't mind a steering damper!!

We got into a stretch where there were ditches dug across the trail, only about 3 feet deep and maybe 6 feet wide, and we were just ripping through and jumping them. That being said, I will definitely be looking to do a KX front end swap, and have it valved for the woods. The stock front end isn't too bad in most of the terrain we hit, but it was a little too soft for the landings!

I will be modifying the stock kickstand bracket, so it folds up a bit higher. I like having it on there for our stops, but the way it folds up is kinda strange, and it was taking some hits in the rock garden areas.

It was a great little rip we went on today, at one point my buddy wanted to trade rides for a bit, and he stuck me on his 250xc. Im not used to how hard that KTM seat is!! He was having fun on my KDX, and didn't give it back for a while!!!

I found all the muscle groups that I haven't used in years!! I can't wait until I can get back out and explore more areas!!! I'll have to invest in a GoPro and post up a few of our rides! Great fun!!
Pressingonward
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Pressingonward »

My first bike was a clapped out MR175. Surprised to see so many people mention them - I didn't think they were that popular
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Hey congrats. Glad you made a successful first ride out. Hope the Elbe was fun. I poked my head in at the grays harbor ORV, on my way back from tuna fishing last weekend. It is NW corner of Capitol F. It looks like a lot of fun. And the big track seemed huge compared to the one we have on Whidbey. It was a practice weekend they had going, so just lots of families camping and riding.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, they have made big strides at Grays Harbor, the track is in the best shape it's ever been in. Elbe Hills is really geared to the Jeep crowd. From Eatonbille its a bit of a longer trip out to Capitol Forest, but Gifford Pinchot just south of Randle is closer to you and has some great riding. Congrats on getting back out there. Before you go full front end swap you may want to get the proper springs in your suspension front and rear first if you haven't already done so.
Mnolan660r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mnolan660r »

bufftester wrote: 05:28 pm Aug 31 2020 Yeah, they have made big strides at Grays Harbor, the track is in the best shape it's ever been in. Elbe Hills is really geared to the Jeep crowd. From Eatonbille its a bit of a longer trip out to Capitol Forest, but Gifford Pinchot just south of Randle is closer to you and has some great riding. Congrats on getting back out there. Before you go full front end swap you may want to get the proper springs in your suspension front and rear first if you haven't already done so.
Thanks for the info!! Do you have anyone local that you would recommend, to drop off the suspension and have it serviced/set up? That seems like the more logical step right out of the gate. Really for stock and not set up, with assuming 23 years on it, the suspension did fairly well. It was just landing the jumps that seemed a little too soft.

I may try to go to Capitol this weekend, just because it is one place I remember fairly well. I used to live in Steilacoom, and tried to go ride Capitol almost every day after work for a period of time. ( although many moons ago! ).

LMK if you have any place in mind for the suspension work, much appreciated!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Honestly I would just start with proper springs, fresh oil (and nitrogen in the rear). Stock the front end is sprung for about a 140lb rider, the rear for a 180 lb rider. Very unbalanced and soft for any aggressive riding. The best money you can spend for performance IMO is get the right springs for your RIDING weight. Makes a noticeable change in the handling of the bike.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

https://www.moto-pro.com/
I used this guy for my KX forks. I just had him do basic rebuild. He had 3 bikes in his garage getting the full monte when I picked them up. But he is way up north from you.
Hey Buff, since my dieting version of spring adjustment is not going fast enough, do you recommend just getting the approx correct spring and sticking it on there, or waiting to do it at same time as shock rebuild? I am packing about 30lbs over capacity of the stock spring.
PS. I know this is stupid question and am just being tight wad.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

My forks came from salvage yard & were seeping pretty bad.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Goat wrote: 10:50 am Sep 02 2020 Hey Buff, since my dieting version of spring adjustment is not going fast enough, do you recommend just getting the approx correct spring and sticking it on there...
Lol...that is what I did. My reasoning (which my wife likes to remind me is fundamentally flawed) is that if I put the springs on for the weight I WANT to be, that will motivate me to lose the weight so the bike handles better. She might be on to something though, seeing as I haven't lost the weight but have gained a whole lot of excuses for my soft handling front end :lol:
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

Nice. Maybe your wife was in same classes with mine at Chehalis HS? I need to keep better eye on the for sale list! Just realized I missed both 5.2 & 5.4, last month. Back to the diet plan.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250